Tweeter Volume Pot

citadelmusic

This is my first posting so be gentle. I run my guitar through a sansamp into a keyboard amp (1oo watt 4 ohm one 15"/ two tweeters). I have two questions.

1. I replaced my 15 w/ an evm15L @ 8 ohms. Do I have to put a paralleled

resistor on it (to match ohmage) or will it run ok w/out?

2. I would like to place a volume pot after the crossover (a cap) to control both

tweeters (8 ohms each run in series). I understand I need something called an

L-pad but do I need a 16 ohm L-pad (to match ohmage of two series 8s) or can

I use an 8? And if I do need 16 where can I get one.

1. No, you're just going to lose some output (provided both speakers are similarly efficient). Putting a resistor in series is only going to make heat, and it's unlikely that any solid state amp is going to object to an 8ohm load. For future reference, replacing any speaker in a system with a passive crossover with a nisnatched impedance means the crossover frequencies are not going to be what you expect, either - it's always best to match impedances in a multi-driver system.

2. Match the pad to the load - if the tweeters are 8 ohms total then use an 8 ohm pad. HTH

1. No, you're just going to lose some output (provided both speakers are similarly efficient). Putting a  resistor in series is only going to make heat, and it's unlikely that any solid state amp is going to object to an 8ohm load. For future reference, replacing any speaker in a system with a passive crossover with a nisnatched impedance means the crossover frequencies are not going to be what you expect, either - it's always best to match impedances in a multi-driver system.

2. Match the pad to the load - if the tweeters are 8 ohms total then use an 8 ohm pad. HTH

Thanks for the prompt reply. I understand you've also helped unclej w/ my issue.

On the subject of the L-pad; the tweeters are wired in series and they are each 8 ohms, does this not double the ohmage to 16 and if so do I need a 16 ohm L-pad?

Thanks again