Black Dye

I was just wondering if Black wood dye will COMPLETELY ebonize the wood so that no grain is showing. I was wondering if i could pull off the blue to black burst... then dye the mahogany back of my strat black... or am i gonna have to buy paint now... :D.... although... it might look cool to go to just a faded black color... not a total fade to complete black? any of you wanna judge this idea... cuz if you guys dont like it.. ill just say "oh yeah thats stupid...id never do that :D "

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

yeah except i have no sprayers and im short on cash... so i might just try to get it as dark as i can with layers and layers of wiped on black dye... who knows... it might look pretty cool with the grain though... ive never seen a guitar like that... so if anyone has links or pictures that woudl be cool

Myka made a pretty slick, all black, guitar a few weeks ago. It wasn't painted either. Lemme see if I can get a link for you...

http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/031/default.htm

This is an exelent example, but I don't think that it could be a good finish for a beginner.

yes yes, i am a beginner.. but what i was thinkin about doing was blue top with black raised grain... faux maple binding... then dye the mahogany back black and just seal it with nitro... you think that its do-able?

yeah that is really nice, guess ill be ordering some grain filler for the mahogany, how would you recomend staining the mahoganyi wanted to get it to like a dark brown. and also, what kind of black dye did you use, like ratio wise.... im so afraid im gonna make it too black and mess everything up... is that even possible to make it too dark, cuz if it only absorbs to a certain point i can sand it back and ill still have dye-able maple to stain blue right?

I bought the colortone from Stew Mac. I started with the ratio they recommend and keept adding until I was at the tone that I liked. So I realy have no Idea but it is close to 15-25% stain.

And yes it is very possible to make it too dark, if you look at my thread you will see that the 1st stained pic is very dark, I then "washed" the color until I reached the desired tone.

Mahogany is usualy a nice brown, unless you got some nice piece of honduran that is more of a dark honey-brown color. That's the one I used for my strat and I bleached it and it turned a beautiful golden honey color, but I was going for a blue stained look, and no matter how I tried to mix the stain it didn't worked. Thats when I decided to paint it.

this is the walnut back and this is mahogany, both have the grain filled with black epoxy. if you want to darken the mahogany a bit, you can use brown stain very light and add to the back until you get to the desired tone, but if you want a black tone, I would rather use paint, unless you want to show the mahogany, then use black stain, but I'm warning you it is not easy to get it even, I don't know if it was my piece, but I had a hard time to get it even. I rather paint it with translucent color next time.