See Thru Black?

dani143

I've been wondering what's the best way for a beginner to do a clear top like that. Reading some of these threads about applying clear-coats it sounds a very long and dangerous process (in terms of the toxicity and fumes from the paints, and requiring a spray-booth? to do it properly)...

I've been wondering what's the best way for a beginner to do a clear top like that. Reading some of these threads about applying clear-coats it sounds a very long and dangerous process (in terms of the toxicity and fumes from the paints, and requiring a spray-booth? to do it properly)...

The 'long' part is waiting for paint to dry, levelling, prep. Spraying itself doesn't take too long, and in a pinch, if your outdoors isn't too bad, spraying outside with a respirator on can work fine (does for me. Although I prefer waterbased stuff because I don't really have the space for Nitro). The clear finishing is one issue, but the question was regarding the staining. Plenty of tutorials on that here, and plenty of recent discussions on various colour bursts up and running, with links to appropriate sections/sites.

Way I see it, you've got two ways of getting trans black: staining the wood directly, or shooting a black tinted clearcoat or two, then clearcoating over that. Each will give you a different look, so you want to try both on scrap. In fact, you really want to try your entire finishing schedule on scrap. Personally, having done it both ways, I'm leaning more towards the 'wipe the stain on' school of thought. It might have a little less chatoyance (that 3-D effect), although it's debatable, but it definitely gives you a more imposing, impressive finish.