Concept Guitar: Sh13m70gt

OK, the current design/project name I've given this is the SH13m70GT which stands for Semi-Hollow Design 1 (first semi-hollowbody shape I've designed), the 3m stands for Maple (top) Mahogany (back) Mustang (design), with the look of a 1970s GT. (yes, complicated I know). Either way, It's only in the photoshoped stage now, I'm going to build my current hollowbody (same shape) out of sitka spruce and lacewood first (mainly to make sure I can do it well enough) before I tackle this one.

SH13m70GT.jpg

A little bit about the design:

- The black GT symbol in the top is actually going to be the shape of the sound hole!! :D

- The darker shade of red inside the white stripe is showing that that is going to be relief carved, like a cut-away would be on an old mustang (those sweet side scoops).

- The inlay is the mustang symbol if you couldn't tell.

- All the hardware is going to be EXTRA chromed out lol

I show this with the hopeful respect that no one steals my idea before I can get to it myself. HOWEVER... if you MUST, atleast make two of them and send one to me :D

Chris

PS: That's not the EXACT shape of the guitar... it's kinda between that and a Godin A series style shape... but this is the best picture I could find that was close enough to my shape to photoshop over.

Edited by verhoevenc

Yeah, the GT hole is the exact font and way of connecting the two letters that is on the old mustangs had. That's why I'm using it. I think it fits better than the OTHER ideas i had for a sound hole, like a grill type thing, etc. But then having a front grill and a side scoop on one plane seemed kinda weird. So yeah, if anyone can think of something better, let me know. Oh yeah, I also thought of like somehow making a speedometer.... but that wouldn't leave much "hole"....

Chris

Edited by verhoevenc

I really love the concept, but those pickups and bridge look rather out-of-scale to the rest of the body. I know this is just a planning design at this point, but with the the body and the bridge seeming to echo each other so much here, it seems like it should be taken into consideration.

I'm intrigued by the idea of the body scoop on the guitar but try not to let the strings lay below the rest of the body! Might make for some difficult strumming.

But yeah, this should be very cool.

Oh, i know, even BEFORE the corvette one you showed they've done another one with an actual 2 tone red and white cut-away on a real Les paul that i like better (modelled after a 59' corvette). But I'm doing an old mustang because my father has one and this would make him smile like a mad man. Trust me, I know i'm not the first do do a guitar modelled after a car. There have been MANY. I AM however the first to do a mustang that I know of???

Chris

And yeah, I haven't decided on the headstock yet, that's the headstock on the guitar i used to photoshop over, not the one i'm gunna use.

As for the strings hieght, thanks i actually hadn't thought of that :D

But yeah... like you said man, it's just a photoshop now, I've gotta see if I can even build a hollow semi first.

And no, the pickups will have mounting rings, this is VERY rough you guys lol