Neck Build, I'm No Longer A Virgin

Batfink

Ok - number one is done, well almost.

As i had a bet with my bass player that i'd have it done by Haloween yesterday i put all the hardware on and wired it up BUT i haven't levelled the frets or even tried to intonate it but it does come up to tune and sounds fine. The idea of the tuner placement came from starring at my Buell M1. The whole idea on the bike and i've carried this over to the tuner placement to have a centralised mass and hence a centralisation of resonance response - well it sounded a good idea at 3 in the morning anyway.

Number two is already in the planning.

Jem :D

Body shot

finished1.jpg

Headstock shot

Ok - number one is done, well almost.

As i had a bet with my bass player that i'd have it done by Haloween yesterday i put all the hardware on and wired it up BUT i haven't levelled the frets or even tried to intonate it but it does come up to tune and sounds fine. The idea of the tuner placement came from starring at my Buell M1. The whole idea on the bike and i've carried this over to the tuner placement to have a centralised mass and hence a centralisation of resonance response - well it sounded a good idea at 3 in the morning anyway.

Number two is already in the planning.

Headstock shot

Body shot

Teiscosrock - i think it's more the shape of my ass imprinted on the chair, in person the guitar isn't lumpy although the forearm contour is quite steep and it's not blended that much which may make it look a triffle odd.

Jens - it's 100% playable in respect of the string positioning although, as i admitted to Alex and had admitted to myself at the time of shaping, it's close. Vibrato on the heavy E's fine but you can slip off if you go hard on the light E, mind you i've played a number of 'Pro' made guitars where this can happen if you get a bit enthusiastic, basically just another point to consider for the next build.

I'll use it live over the next couple of weeks and see how it performs.

Hey Batfink "she" looks very nice!!! I like your inlay!!! What did you use for the pumpkin?

The headstock seems a sword :D You have to take care :D

Cheers!!!

Gian

Edited by gun

Hey Gian,

Thanks.

For the pumpkin's i used yellow/white spinney recon stone. It's easy to work and after a few trials i found it was better to hollow out the full inlay cavity and then to use dust/glue to fill up the eyes and mouth as it turns darker (and also trying to route around the eyes and mouth on the fretboard would have been a nitemare.)

How's the vine coming along, did you continue with the purpleheart stem ?

I used an heavy exacto knife (Stanley) and with the help of a rule I cutted a long line about 1,2 mm wide. Then I sanded it a bit on a belt sander and with an iron solder the stem bent so easy. I glued it and cutted the slot again Easy ;-)

I dunno if there's another way, maybe better, but that worked for me and it was easy and quick.

Gian