I'm So Intriuged...

neocon58

http://images.misupply.com/products/origin.../128805x600.jpg

I'm curious, what's so special/different about a double neck than a normal guitar?

I notice many doublenecks (like the one posted above) have 12 strings at the top and 6 strings at the bottom, so I'm wondering, how whould you use a doubleneck in a song, and if anyone can give me the names of anysongs with doublenecks to check out please do.

I've only just started thinking about doublenecks as a project possibility after seeing Scott Rosenbergers thread. If I attempted a doubleneck, it probably would not be as complicated as that one, but, I dunno, meh, early days yet.

Here's another one to look at. Erikbojerik's GOTM

Cheers mate. It's awesome that people help you out here unlike some forums.

Man, I really don't know what to do. I gotta make a guitar for a school project next year, and I've been thinking of making about 438765432960543 different guitars. A JEM, an RG, an SG, a doubleneck RG, and about 50 different other makes of guitars. There's too many damn options. I really wanna do a JEM/RG but, well, it's not that I don't know if I can install a floyd, it's just I don't know If I'll have a budget to make a GOOD JEM/RG.

Anyone else ever get stuck in a rut like this?

Edited by neocon58

hahahah yea i want to build/own 103289890321 guitars too. I can always remember people who uses double necks (or even triple necks) but never the name of the song so heres a few i can list off the top of my head, Steve Vai (triple neck), Paul Gilbert, Justin king (check out the vids i posted about on a diff thread its an acoustic).

T

Double neck guitars would mainly be used for live performances where the switch between a 6 to 12 string guitar needs to be less than one second. So it comes in handy for live or even if you can only afford one guitar but want a 12 string and a 6 string so therefore you only have to buy one :D

Jimmy Page and Joe walsh both use a double neck gibson eds 1275

jimmy page uses it in the song remains the same, the rain song and stairway to heaven and i am sure i ahve probobally missed some more :D

joe walsh - dont have a clue when he used his B)

JP_Capital_Center_Washington_DC_25_may_1977_Gibson_EDS1275-1.jpg

i am sure i ahve probobally missed some more B)

Travelling Riverside Blues

Is Page wearing glasses in that photo?!?!?!?!? :D

Travelling riverside blues - no way man hed be playing on his vox or fender 12 string - he only played the eds 1275 live - i would have played that thing till it fell apart.......danm thats one mean guitar :D even the epiphone vrs is awesome and i hate epiphones

Page, Glasses - yes :D looks different hey?

Edited by ZoSo_Spencer

it's just I don't know If I'll have a budget to make a GOOD JEM/RG.

Anyone else ever get stuck in a rut like this?

Why don't you buy cheap second hand RG 550 (or so) off the bay, and use this guitar as your donor guitar for your custom RG/Jem project. AANJ RG 5XX or 7XX can be had for about $200-300. This will give you all the hardware and goodies necessary. Even gives you proper neck if you don't want to go BYO-neck route.

My take on double neck guitars........"Ever seen older bold guy in big Merc, Corvette, Porsche.....".

Well then you know what I mean. :D

Freud would have said: "Men with small spam syndrome".

small_penis_2005-02-02.JPG

And isn't that why we started playing guitar to begin with.....to be wanna be rock star and impress the chicks.

I guess a 7 string will impress more then your 6-er.

Not sure if your 12 string would classify as more masculine as your 7 string, cause I think these 12 stringers have certain feminine sound to them.

So following this (*bullocks*) reasoning.....you're double neck 6 & 7 stringer would be your ultimate chick magnet.

Leaving Banjo's and Jukelilles completely out of the picture. B)

LOL!

:D

Edited by RGGR

Hehehe...man, there is no more useless guitar on the planet than a 6 & 7 string doubleneck! :D

Those POS Rogues are all over the 'bay for dirt cheap.

Now... B) I can only surmise that any and all assaults on the manhood of double-neckers come only from those whose panties are so tight and dainty waists so pampered that they are just physically unable to hold upright the monster axe that they've always secretly wished they could have (if only they could count to 12....). :D

Double neck guitars would mainly be used for live performances where the switch between a 6 to 12 string guitar needs to be less than one second.  So it comes in handy for live or even if you can only afford one guitar but want a 12 string and a 6 string so therefore you only have to buy one  :D

Jimmy Page and Joe walsh both use a double neck gibson eds 1275

jimmy page uses it in the song remains the same, the rain song and stairway to heaven and i am sure i ahve probobally missed some more :D

joe walsh - dont have a clue when he used his B)

JP_Capital_Center_Washington_DC_25_may_1977_Gibson_EDS1275-1.jpg

Page used the EDS 1275 to play "The Song Remains the Same" which segues into "The Rain Song". The 12 string neck is tuned EADGBE, with the 6 string neck tuned DGDGCD. He played it live the same way it was recorded on "Houses of the Holy". Also check out "Wonderful One" from the Unledded album. Gorgeous acoustic tones from a 6/12 custom Ovation.

John McLaughlin is another well-known 6/12 player. "Inner Mounting Flame" is a classic album.

Hey, I say go for the 6/12 RG doubleneck-- that sounds like a pretty sick guitar. Both neck through, finished in dark transparent blue over alder with a chrome floyd on the 6 and a strat hardtail on the 12...

Quintessential RG doublenecked goodness!

Sounds ejaculation-worthy, but the more I think about it the more I think I'd rather set myself a reasonable challenge rather than an impossible one, considering it'll be my first project guitar I actually make parts for. So I've all but settled on a JEM and hopefully one of my buds at school will paint a cool design on it.

Mind you, if I had, or ever end up having the skills, the 6/12 RG would be soooooooooo cool! :D:DB)

Tube Doctor

Yeah thats another reason for the use of a double neck guitar :D

^Having one half of the guitar in a diff tuning and the other in normal so that again, you dont have to pick up another guitar....

How good is gallows pole on the unledded tour???? that song is killer on a 12 string and same with no quarter that redone version is awesome.

:D

Edited by ZoSo_Spencer

John McLaughlin is another well-known 6/12 player. "Inner Mounting Flame" is a classic album.

Word. :D

Get your hands on a (relatively) new Sony disc called "The Lost Sessions" or something like that, a digital version of the sessions they were working on before they split up. Studio versions of "Dream" & "Trilogy" that had previously only been recorded live.