Vintage Guitar Coming My Way

ibanez_crazy

What would you do if someone offered to trade a vintage piece with some repairs for a "Player" guitar. The gentleman is retiring and would rather not play the guitar he has as he is afraid of damaging it, and the headstock was already professionaly repaired in 1973. He just wants a newer strat or tele in trade for a gibson es330 or es335( he isnt sure what it is) I will recieve the guitar next week to inspect it, and check the model and date. He believes the guitar is a 1965. Now I have already bought a "player" 1977 les paul from him, and it is near mint. How do I put a correct value on this gibson so Im not ripping him a new one or not losing out myself. Pics available after I get the guitar from him, so if anyone can help out on identifying the guitar and putting a price together :D

A 330 has dogear P90s, trapeze tailpiece, and is a true hollowbody. 330s were made from 59-72. The walnut finish became available in 68 (a buddy has a 68 walnut finish 330 -- sweet). A 335 has humbuckers and is semihollow.

As far as price, whatever both of you are comfortable with is what it's worth. Having been repaired it's probably not going to be a collector piece, so go for what you know. :D

Emailed gibson and requested a list of appraisers in my area. Now I know the difference between the 330 and the 335. Was going to do that after work today. Thanks Mark. Not really interested in trading for it as a collector, was more for a conversation piece, and to hand it down to my son, when he is old enough to appreciate it. Obviously, I would get some weird looks if I were to play heavy metal with it onstage.If it is what he thinks it is, it will also be the oldest guitar in my collection. As far as price, he is interested in trading for my 97 parker nitefly, or a pair of modded japan strats.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the guitar, and its a 1968 es330 TDC in cherry. Headstock repair is really the only downfall to this guitar. It plays like a dream and sounds great for its age(Just some crackle from the pots). Never refretted, pots are factory, even the strings on her are 25+ years old. Case is from earlier years(not for that year guitar) but it is Gibsons high end case. NOT a collectors piece, but one heck of a player. Waiting to see what he wants as a trade.....

Just want it for my own collection. Not looking at it as an investment, or to sell anytime soon. It waw appreaised by a gibson collecter right at a grand, and the case at 300 bucks. Strings were installed on the guitars last setup and never played. I can take a pic of the scum and dust buildup on the fretboard if ya like, its the only thing dirty.:>)