Glamourous Acetate

verhoevenc

Hi folks!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I have been intrigued by this thread and even ordered the sample pack from Precision Drum.

I have a vacuum bag setup for veneering the drum covering to a contoured guitar top, but I think a hard setting glue, like epoxy or urea would be best. I have some concerns about using a contact cement as I suspect the plastic would retain some memory and eventually lift or pull away from the deeper contours of the guitar top.

Secondly, what about pick scratches? I guess they don't damage a pickguard over time, but the drum covering is much thinner.

Lastly, I assume a clear finish should be sprayed over the plastic skin; nitro or water based? Do you think the skin could be lightly sanded for adhesion without ruining it?

Comments please!

Mike

Yeah, thermo-forming, vacuum forming, same diff. You heat it up, and then vacuum it down while it's soft. But yeah, as for what mister_honey was asking: yes it'll probably scratch... hense why i WOULD recomend spraying clear coat OVER it. That way the finish wouldn't react to scratching like a piece of plastic, it'd react like well... a normal finish, cuase it'd have one. As for contact cement, screw that, I'd go all out epoxy wild to hold this puppy down onto the guitar. Lastly,. I too have a sample pack from them, and I was playing with some of them today, sanding would be a BAD idea. Cause if you look at the stuff, it's got the design on one side, but on the other side it's either black or white. Which means the design does not go ALL the way through so sanding may kill the design and leave you with just black or white in the spot you sanded.

Since you've already got the gear to do it, when do you plan on doing it? I'd love to get a step by step pictoral of it, and see how it turns out. Cause I don't plan to do it for QUITE some time, I've got a guitar to finish already, and other ideas to try before I venture here.

Chris