Guitar Rig/rig Kontrol Problems

ronnie_ca

Hello all. I just bought the Guitar Rig from Music 123 and I've been having some problems with it. I can record fine (though I'm recording an acoustic with a mic, due to my only guitar being half built right now :D ) but I can't get the foot pedals to register. I have my mic hooked into an xlr to 1/4" cable on input port 1 and a 1/4" patch cable on output 1 going into a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter which is plugged into the line in on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. Could the fact that the patch cable between the controller and the sound card is mono be the culprit? I'm confussed and slightly frusterated, so any help at all would most deffinately be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Well, the easiest answer is: you need the Guitar Rig Kontrol. :D

That small issue aside, you'll need a pre-amp into your soundcard's line-in. The mic-in has its own pre-amp, but it's not impedence-matched to your guitar signal. It'll work better than the line-in, but it's not a great match.

Greg

Hughes, not a problem. You shouldn't need a preamp if you're running the rig kontrol, as it is a preamp in itself. If for whatever reason you have the software without the hardware (I won't ask, I promise :D ) then yes, you will need a preamp. As my only electric guitar is in the process of being built I can't tell you for sure how well it works. I actually got the rig kontrol working (I bought a cable with two 1/4" mono jacks at one end and a 1/8" stereo on the other and ran it to the line in on my sound card). They only tests I've done with the rig kontrol thus far has been to take a crappy mic with an XLR to 1/4" cable and used it as a preamp. It sounded decent for vocals, but needed to be boosted too far to mic a guitar. (I think the problem was with the mic being designed for vocals, or the lack of phantom power, but I'm not knowledgable enough to say for sure).

Oh, I just thought, if you don't have the Rig Kontrol and you want a foot controller to control Guitar Rig, I'd suggest the Behringer FCB1010, I might upgrade to that when my budget allows. It's only about $150 I think, but I've gone a little overboard with my guitar building lately :D

Edited by ronnie_ca