Weird Grounding Problem

MI Guitars

Hi all,

I need some help with some simple wiring.

Ive just finished of my 4th guitar and have completed the wiring using the Seymour duncan schem for 1 humbuker/1 volume.

The guitar is a single Humbucker (2 wire), Volume Pot and Kill switch. Ive added the kill switch between the pot and the output jack and it works fine.

My problem is even though everything is grounded I still have a grounding problem. As soon as I touch the bridge or volume pot its fine.

It has a fixed strat bridge which is grounded. The output jack is grounded, the pickup is grounded, the pot is grounded and the switch is grounded etc etc. Ive checked all the grounds with a multi meter and they are fine.

I've removed the switch thinking it was faulty with no changes.

I've used the usual "Star" grounding method - ie: a common ground to the back of the volume pot.

I've also noticed that when I touch the pickup the hum gets a bit louder which is weird. I was thinking that maybe the pickup is faulty or something.

The pickup does work but i noticed when I switch on a gain channel it feeds back really easily.

It is a cheap pickup but ive put 6+ in guitars before without an issue.

Its driving me crazy!

Any ideas?

Regards

Mark

Ive added the kill switch between the pot and the output jack and it works fine.

Maybe by placing the kill switch between the output jack and "everything else" you are making some sort of ground loop. You are still providing circuit interruption but it might make a big difference in the grounding area. Is the switch also grounded to the volume pot or to the output jack?

Try wiring the switch between the pickup and the volume pot and see what happens. In regular 2 pickup schematics the pups are wired directly to the pickup selector switch and then to vol. pot. so it seems like a reasonable solution.

For starters, the way you have it hooked up, when the switch is in the "kill" position, the output jack is left open to receive noise. Connect the jack wire to the middle lug of the switch along with the pot wiper wire. That way, in the kill position, it's grounded. In other words, a SPST switch would have sufficed.

For starters, the way you have it hooked up, when the switch is in the "kill" position, the output jack is left open to receive noise. Connect the jack wire to the middle lug of the switch along with the pot wiper wire. That way, in the kill position, it's grounded. In other words, a SPST switch would have sufficed.

Ok Thanks Saber ill try that. :D

The kill switch is working fine tho. When its on the kill position there is no noise whatsoever.

Mark