Pickup Question

Lespaulstandard

Ok, my neighbor gave me his old squire.. and i want to go frankenstrat on it.. how could i "hot rod" the cheap squire pickups? (i'm looking for something in the $20-30 range) is it even worth doing? should i just save up and get some new ones?

Not really anything you can do to the pickups except live with them or replace them.

not true not true.. you could add an onboard 1 transistor or mosfet booster. that could help out quite a bit. actually. you could take the pickups add in passive notch filters. put in a small radio shack choke to help cancel out hum.. add in a little drive from a preamp and some eqing and have some better sounding pickups. all for about 5usd. and some work.. or yes.. just buy new pickups.

Or he could pick up a spool of wire if he shops around and rewind them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

If he is going to rewind the pickups, he might as well replace the ceramic bar magnets with alnico rod magnets. But this would require new flatwork. New flatwork, new magnets, new wind...he's just made a new set of pickups! ;-)

Theres plenty of switching schemes you could do, with less than $20-$30 in parts. If the pickups are a bit feeble, giving an option for series wiring makes a huge boost. My favorite current scheme for brain-transplantig Strats involves taking out the five way switch, and putting in 5 toggles for on/off on each pup, series/parallel and phase, and gives a vast range. There are simpler schemes you can do that keep the 5-way, with fewer options.

If a switching solution would interest you, Ill post some links

John

Edited by JohnH

If he is going to rewind the pickups, he might as well replace the ceramic bar magnets with alnico rod magnets. But this would require new flatwork. New flatwork, new magnets, new wind...he's just made a new set of pickups! ;-)

you know whats funny? i actually got around to removing the pickups from the guitar, and they dont have a bar magnet on the bottom of the pickup, only a cover.. does this mean they're alnico?

you know whats funny? i actually got around to removing the pickups from the guitar, and they dont have a bar magnet on the bottom of the pickup, only a cover.. does this mean they're alnico?

Hmmm...Do you see the 6 individual rod magnets from the bottom? or what do you see exactly?

I really don't know if this is correct or helpful at all, but if your looking for small things on the cheap, cant you get like some sort of metal baseplate that you put under single coil pickups to give them a bit more oomph? Surely that would be cheap?

:D

- Dan

Edit: I had a quick dig to see if I could find what I was thinking of. I didn't really find what I was hoping for, but I did find this: http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Fralin-Baseplate-P217C0.aspx

It's got wax?  That must be an older Squier then.  My Squier didn't have potted pickups.  What series Squie is it (Affinity, Standard, etc.)?  Mine is a "Crafted in China" Affinity.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas..

yeah it has wax.. i thought it was wierd too.. its a Bullet... i dont get it, it cant be that old, the old ones werent lam. bodies were they?? ( i know i know.. its plywood... but for a cheap frankenstrat project...)