Need Some Help With H/s/h Wiring

muggatu

Basicly I don't have room for a 5-way so I am using a 3-way sg style switch. I want to do a H/S/H setup but i can't seem to find a diagram for it. I'm not to familiar with electronics stuff so I can't really figure it out on my own. Is this possible? I'd like to have it so each position is a different pickup. I have a 2 wire strat pickup and 2 3-wire humbuckers. Thanks\\

That's a rather odd configuration. Doing it with 2 vol and 2 tone is going to result in either one pickup not under tone/volume control, or two pickups selected at the same time with a volume/tone for that pair. You could convert one of those tones to a volume, which will give you one volume control per pickup and one master tone for all right before the output jack.

I just got busy at work, but I'll see if I can draw it out in Visio or something before lunch.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

basically yes it acan be done.. however i dont' know the diagram for the switch. but heres the rest of the schemaic for you.

Diagram.gif

personally in this setup i would actually wire up the neck pickup as a bass cut that way you can get a better blend on things. but i guess it all depends on how you neck pickup sounds. my neck pickups are usually pretty dark them selves so i would naturaly use a bass cut instead of the treble cut. for the mid pot you could get creative and add a midrange control. but thats another schematic :D

Edited by ansil

Thanks man! I'll see how it turns out.  What is a midrange control?

a midrange control is one that will cut your mids or cut bass and treble to give the apearance of boosted mids.

Here it is. Lugs 2 and 5 are jumpered together, with lug 5 being the output lug. Also, I didn't put ground on the switch, but it will need to be grounded. Also, the middle position tone knob will need to be added to the circuit at the switch, not in the middle like it's represented in the diagram; it was just easier to draw it that way. This configuration allows for each pickup to be on by itself depending on the switch's location. I tried doing it in Visio, but it was easier to do by just hacking up the diagrams from Guitareletronics.com.

gallery_2821_8_1410.jpg

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

OK, measure the resistance from ground to each colored wire with a multimeter - one should be about twice the other. The higher resistance wire should be connected as the hot wire in GodBlessTexas's diagram, and the other should be taped off until you decide to add coil splits to your wiring. Easy peasey, lemon-squeezy! :D

• 1 month later...