Can Anyone Recomend A Good Acoustic Pickup System?

I want to replace the piezo system on my Martin with a piezo/microphone system. I looked at the LR Baggs I Mix system, but that's not going to do it for me. I really disliked how they designed their T-Bridge(how many people want hexaphonic output?). Anyhow, I couldn't use the I Mix if I wanted to because I need a system that uses a side mounted preamp(I-Mix is internal) so I can replace my current preamp with the new one. Enlarging the hole would be no biggie. Anyone have any suggestions?

peace,

russ

I'd consider (quite seriously) dropping the cash on a Fishman Aura or a Dtar (Timberline/Rick Turner's system). I'm the first to admit I haven't heard any in person, but the sound samples, and opinions of a few people I trust make me think they're a fantastic option. They're semi-modelling, using simple input, but the results are really quite astounding.

On my own builds, I'm isntalling K&K Sound's stuff, but they don't have side-mount premap systems.

I've just finished an acoustic guitar with a B-band undersaddle pickup and NFI pre. The sound is awesome and they use some wikid electret-bubble technology. It really sounds like a mic system, just wihout the drawbacks that can come in loud enviroments. Check em out, I got mine from a supplier on E-Bay, it was a unit from a washburn that was never used.

They have samples of the sound on their website have a look.

B-Band website

this one from KK sound is about as good as they come. KK sound has the best pickup systems for acoustic guitars and that one is there best model. It sounds more natural than you could ever imagine. Imagine your guitar, sweeter and louder. It doesn't make your guitar sound "weird" or "plugged in". It's just your guitar sound but louder.

They are pricy but well worth it.

Check out the sound clip. link

Edited by Godin SD

this one from KK sound is about as good as they come.  KK sound has the best pickup systems for acoustic guitars and that one is there best model.  It sounds more natural than you could ever imagine.  Imagine your guitar, sweeter and louder.  It doesn't make your guitar sound "weird" or "plugged in".  It's just your guitar sound but louder.

They are pricy but well worth it.

Check out the sound clip. link

Only 'downside' I can see is that they don't do side-mount preamp systems.

On the upside, you can start with 'just' a Pure Western, which doesn't even need a preamp, and just add the other components when you want them, no probs. Dealing with K&K directly was a pleasure, I might add.

I would buy the pure western and there silver bullet mic seperately and plug them both into the imix.

It's compatable electronicly but I'm not sure if it has the same connnecter. The KK stuff uses a headphone jack (1/8") but I'm not sure about the imix. You might have to change the conecter on the pickup and the mic to be able to plug them into the imix. But I'm not sure...

Edited by Godin SD