Onboard Bass Effects?

I've always wanted to do this with a Danelectro EQ pedal, but I don't have the skills to cut so many parallel slots for the pots. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with the concept. You'd need a separate cavity for the effects, and you'd need to make sure the controls can be integrated into your bass' controls in a visually pleasing manner, but it can't be too hard.

If I were to do it, I'd cut the jacks out of the pedal's wiring, remembering which wire is hot and which is ground, and just splice it in as the last stage of your controls before the output jack. It'd run off its own 9V (phantom power would be too much work), and since most pedals have a bypass built right in, you'd save yourself some switching trouble.

By the way, I've heard that Danelectro pedals are good, except for the casing, which is very fragile. You might save $$ by gutting a Dano rather than a Boss or Digitech, as you don't have to worry about the strength of the casing anyway.

My verdict? I say go for it, take pictures, and don't forget to let us know how it goes!

That Pagelli guy has done it with a guitar. He even went one step BEYOND just adding a effects pedal, he put in a freakin' Alesis AirFX, that thing you move your hand through the magnetic feild to change the sound! So depending on how closwe to the neck you played whatever effect the AirFX multiFX was set to, it would warp it and change parameters. There's a pick and a vid here. It's called the Avantair... it's towards the bottom.

But yeah, regardless of WHAT you put in it, it's most likely gunna turn out pimped out the the max.

eg_avantair_vorne_k.jpg

Chris

Possible? Absolutely! Simple? Fairly. Easy? Well, there's the rub - if you can get around the space constraints and the noise issues, and find a place for all the controls, it's no problem at all.

Thanks for the responses guys. I actually haven't built the body yet, but I have a design that will allow for the effects