The Feel Of Lacquer?

q83

Hi again once more guys. I'm about to graduate from the state of completely useless newbie to simply a newbie, as my first project is nearing completion. I've lacquered it up, and seeing as this is the first time I've ever lacquered anything, I have a few questions (primarily one), as I can't tell if I did anything properly (as always).

I lacquered the body with 3 cans of lacquer (about 15 coats). Now it's been less than a full week, but I've felt the body and I honestly cannot tell if it's lacquered. I know it is, it just doesn't feel like it. The top feels a little harder than the rest, but the sides and horns feel maybe a little harder than paint. I actually took some 1000 grit sand-paper and wiped it across the sides to see if the paint would come off or the lacquer. It doesn't feel like it's been lacquered basically. Now obviously I know it has to cure, but does curing really make so much of a difference? Should I apply more coats?

There is some importance for this question, normally I'd probably wait and see, but I'm on a timeline to finish this project, as it's a present for my girlfriend, and I planned to let it cure for 2 weeks, which would give me about 3 days to sand and buff.

Thanks once again.

Edited by q83

Hmmmm...a bit difficult without seeing what your talking about and yes it's probably hard to photograph what your talking about. If it's rough or un-shiney (i'm sure that's not a word :D ) chances are your coats were too thin, you need to get a couple of tack coats on and then really load it up as rattle can paint has a lot less solid's in it than you'd normally get with a gun. Personally, if it looks like there's not enough on there or you've sprayed too light then i'd shoot some more over it but if it's just 'orange peely' i'd leave it as long as you can (if it smells of thinners it's still not dry) and then buff it up with 2000+ grit and some finishing creme.

I'm sure some of the more experienced will chime in as the sun moves over the planet.

Jem

Let me just get something clear first --when you're talking about 'lacquer' you mean the clear, right? Not the color coat, but the transparent stuff?

I'm asking because you're talking about 'rubbing to see if the color comes off'.

Assuming you're talking about your clear coat --I think its normal that it doesn't look like there's anything on there. At least that's the way it was with the last guitar I've been finishing. I think that's because this guitar is a natural finish, so it's harder to see any 'depth' in the clear.

But as soon as you start sanding and especially when you polish, you'll see that it's there!

That said, I waited three weeks on this one --but only because I had to redo the top coats. Otherwise, I would have waited at least a month.

The rule is, if you still smell solvent, then it's not ready yet. Girlfriend or none.

Maybe you can work on buffing her while you're waiting. :D

:D . great reply man. Thank you both for your answers. I should have specified, it is a clear coat. When I sanded it, I got some clear to come off. The color underneath is a really deep purple. Now that I think of it, I wasn't very clear with my explanation either... it's not the the guitar doesn't look lacquered, as it is pretty shiny, it's just the feel of the guitar. If I compare it to any of the guitars I have, it obviously doesn't have the same feel. Does this change after the sanding?

Thanks again for your help guys.

Edited by q83

If you're using rattle cans 15 coats will not be enough to spray on there before sanding and buffing. My concern is, did you seal the wood before you sprayed the color? I'm not sure how you mean it feels like there is nothing there, can you feel the wood grain? If you can, you didn't seal the wood properly. If it's a roughness (orangepeel) that you are feeling, you'll have to sand that out.

Some will disagree with me here, but if you really want a deadly finish, and you're using rattle can clear laquer, you're probably going to need to put on 30 to 50 coats, no lie. Rattle can coats go on brutally thin and laquer shrinks and evaporates so much there is almost no thickness left when it's cured. Anything less than 30 and I think you're going to sand through if you're using 1000 grit.

LGM: Yeah, I grain filled it before priming. I don't feel the woodgrain, and there's no orange peel either (which kind of surprised me, as it's pretty humid where I am). And wow... 30 - 50 coats... I think I'd go insane in the process.

and Godin SD: That's exactly what I was talking about.

Thanks guys. I think I'll let it cure a little more, and if it's too thin... I guess I'll put on another 15 coats :D Thing is the look of the finish isn't the most important, it's more just the feel at this point. It's not a clear body, and I got a little elaborate with the paint job (took me 4 tries before I got it right).

Edited by q83

I think what Jeremy's talking about is a bullet-proof pro quality finish...

I favor 'relic-ready' finishes for my guitars--that's why I go lighter on the finish. And yeah, with a lighter coat of finish, it 'relics' pretty quickly. With 4 cans, I'd say it's barely protected.

So if you're looking for a finish that's going to last and last, then you're going to want to empty a few more cans on there. :D