Carved Top Question

I've noticed on a LP body that the top has what looks to be a flat edge running around the guitar, before the carve comes into play, I'm assuming this is to keep the binding easier. Since I'm doing an LP copy, I was wondering how far in does this flat area go? Anyone have any idea? I looked through the search on tops, couldn't find anything, though not too much new and different info came through on "carved top" or "carving a top"

thanks in advance.

I've got a set of LP plans right next to me and the only rebate(that's what the "flat area's" called) they specify is at the base of the guitar. It's 1" at the base. The best I can tell you is that the rebate slowly tapers until there's none at upper bout(around the switch). There's a very small amount of rebate near the horn, almost imperceptable, but it's there. When I carved the top on my LP, I just looked at some pictures and adjusted the rebate until it looked right. Sorry I can't give any, more accurate, advice.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Once again russ, thanks for the notes, and the new guitar vocab, heh. I appreciate it. Yeah, no prob about 'detailed' info, this topic seems more of a 'touch and go' thing as I'm coming to understand.

mattia - thanks bud, I appreciate the location of the info

golly gee this board is neat. haha

I personally don't think the edging is exactly flat. I think it would look weird. It probably just curves very slightly at the edge until the main arching. Carving a 're-curve' would look even cooler. Here's a comparison:

arch.jpg

I've done it that way(flat) 3 times now. They all look perfectly normal to me and everyone else that's seen them. Although, it wouldn't be much more effort to route your rebate and than add a recurve when you're carving the top. On the next top I do, I'm going to make a depth map and then route the whole thing enough so I just have to clean it up with my rotary carver. I used that methed for the insides of the top and back on the hollowbody I made, and it worked well and quickly.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman