Maple Or Alder For Body + Finishing Help

Hi! I'm thinking about making a solid body for a Strat neck i have.

Now the first question would be, which wood to use for the body - alder or maple?

Second, about the finishing:

Is it fine to use water-based dye, a rattlecan black for the burst and do i need to grain-fill the woods if i use industrial lacquer?

Third, ill add the sketch i made whilst in a class and maby you guys could help it get a bit better as i'm not actually that good at drawing.. specially on drawing a guitar well :D

sketch.JPG

Anyways thanks beforehand,

Erik

Hi! I'm thinking about making a solid body for a Strat neck i have.

Now the first question would be, which wood to use for the body - alder or maple?

Simple question, difficults answer.

What sound are you after? Strat type sound?

What pups will you be using?

You say you have strat style neck, but are you also after a strat type body??

Your typical Strat is normally made out of Alder, or Swamp Ash.

Maple mostly is used as figurative top wood......you don't see many maple bodies guitars......it sounds to bright for most people.

Again, chosing body wood, depends on more factors then just your body wood.......what kinds pups, what kinda bridge, what kinda neck woods, what kinda fretboard.........sound of guitar depends on lots of factors.

But generally speaking with Alder you can't go wrong. Fender uses it mostly in their bodies, Steve Vai's Jems are made from Alder......

I don't like the headstock but that's only my opinion and that don't mean squat. :D

What does bother me about the design is that point on the lower bout. It sure looks like it could impale it's self into the back of your hand as you reach for the high notes. Maybe you could swing that out a bit.