A First Attempt

What a great forum! This is my first guitar build and I need help with some finishing issues.

A more detailed picture

ProjectThumb.JPG

This is a standard Mahagony body and neck with a dropped Maple top. The fingerboard is Rosewood and will get stainless frets. I'm planning on using SD SH-4 and SH-2 pickups but I guess that is really a different issue.

I need help deciding what color and finishing technique to use on the maple top. I know that color is a personal issue but I could use some other input. So far I'm thinking of dyeing it black, backsanding a bit and then adding a bit of brown with a nitro finish. This is all new to me as I have really only used oil finishes and paints on furniture projects.

The Maple top is a bit unsual but it's my first project. The grain pattern is not consistant. It's much more pronounced at the bridge than near the bouts - a little unbalanced but maybe I can make it work. I think with a TOM bridge it will look good.

Anyway, this has taken up a lot of time over the past few weeks and has been very new and enjoyable. I look forward to getting it finished. Thanks for any input...

Do you think that I should dye it black and sandback to enhance the grain no matter which color I use or would that leave too much grain intensity? I know that it's all a matter of taste. It's just that I have none!

Thanks for the input.

Could work well. You got offcuts from the maple? Get ye some dyes, try some colours out, put a bit of clear on top to see what it'll look like, then make your decision.

Blue, Deep red, purple, green, tiger-eye (browns/yellows), various bursts, all possibilities, all can look rockin'. Look around PRS's website, David Myka's website (mykaguitars.com) for some inspriation (just to name a few). Pick a colour you like, and get to work on scrap trying to achieve it.