Stewmac's Colortone Concentrated Liquid Stain

Cerb

Has anyone ever used any of these stains? More specifically, has anyone ever used the Vintage Amber? And even more specifically, has anyone ever used it on maple? If so, I would love to see pictures. This is the stain I'm planning on using for my [horribly extended because I'm a poor 15 year old] project.

Has anyone ever used any of these stains? More specifically, has anyone ever used the Vintage Amber? And even more specifically, has anyone ever used it on maple? If so, I would love to see pictures. This is the stain I'm planning on using for my [horribly extended because I'm a poor 15 year old] project.

It's great stuff, rebranded TransTint stains, work well in alcohol or water (or laquer thinner if you're feeling like killing yourself). Vintage amber will look, well, vintage amber-y, and the pics on StewMac's site are on maple. How dark it'll look depends on how much of the stuff you used. I haven't used it straight on maple (because I tend to just use shellac for the amber tint), so I don't have pics for you.

Get the stain, test it on scrap until you're happy with the results. The end.

Nice to see another 15 YO builder, i was 15 when i started my first too, and yes it does suck having no money for parts, i know have a SG(ish) body with strat electonics bodged in. Shelac for grailfiller (worked well, wouldnt recomend it tho) i used Behlin solar-lux blood red dye.

How do you plan on aplying your stain? I was going to ask if your going to use a dye black sand back method, but i actualy think a dye dark amber sandback aply normal amber would look better, does your maple have any figuring?

I was actually planning on the latter. Dye dark amber and then light. Because I'm cheap, I will probably just use alcohol and wipe it on with a sponge.

The body does have some nice flame to it. Click Here to see the body with some naptha on it. The camera took a lot of the character from the wood, but you can get an idea.

thats a nice body (i wish i was playing with stuff like that at 15). Make sure that the amber you plan to sand back is very concentrated otherwise you may not even notice it. if you could get some brown that would help just a few drops in the amber to darken it. Ive found that brown loks better then black in my opinion.it loks more natural, but thats all preference and it also depends on the project .