Heel Thickness

OK, so the neck is hard rock maple, and right now the heel is about 1.7" thick at the 19th fret... this is obviously too much, and I'm going to shape it a lot this weekend. What I am wondering about is how far I can carve it down? It is a Carvin neck, with the 2-way adjustable truss-rod, and also 2 graphite reinforcement rods. This should allow me to carve it down quite a bit, right?

(Oh, and I used the search function, but found nothing similar enough to what I am wondering about)

:D What is the neck going into? You should already know how far down you can take it based on your project. Why are you wanting to carve it? Why is it too thick? Im a bit confused at your situation.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, but this is for the neck-thru V I'm building... The heel is a few frets further out from where it meets the body, and I want to carve it down to make it easier to play on the higher frets. What I am wondering about is how FAR I can carve down the heel? If I carve it down too far, could it break from the string tension? That's what I'm wondering about...

I think the thickness really depends on where the body wood is going to meet the neck. If you really wanted to you could keep the same original thickness of the rest of the neck, with the natural slope obviously, and not make it merge into the body untill past the 24th fret, but then it may be hard to fit a neck pickup in there as close to the neck as you may want. Unless you did like Rickenbacker basses and made the body's treble horn come off the neck at around a 90 degree angle, if you know what I mean. If not check out a picture of a Rickenbacker 4003 bass, or even the current guitar of the month. But, keep in mind neither of those have 24 frets like the Carvin neck thrus, and, to me at least, a treble horn that starts on the neck at a very steep angle and rounds over is much more aesthetically pleasing. Sorry for my less than stellar descriptions, but it's tough with that part. I hope my ideas help you out. And this IS all just my opinion so some it may not apply and may just be plain wrong.

Galen.

Edited by Gemm012

Oops. Looks like my post was just a minute late. I don't think there is any danger of you carving it down too far. In order for it to make a spot likely to break you'd have to make it thinner than the rest of the neck I think. There may be something about that specific portion of the neck that makes it weaker that I don't know about though. Good luck.

Galen.