What's The Best Software...

Arseneau

CorelDraw?  Adobe Illustrator?  Something else? 

What software makes really clean, high quality graphics for headstock logos and things like that?

Anything vector-based program will work.

If you're just doing type, all you need is a good font library and Word or whatever program you might have...

Word has decent vector drawing tools if you're just after headstock logo or something too.

Corel, Quark, Illustrator, Freehand, Photoshop, etc... are all a little over the top for a headstock logo. You could probably find some free vector based graphics editor on the net somewhere (I don't know where, here at work I have all the aforementioned applications installed.)

Well,

I`m professional graphic designer, I use Adobe Illustrator at work, and like it. Corel Draw is good too, but both are pro software, with pro price. If You are on PC platform (Windows or Linux) Open Office is completely free software package with pretty good vector based drawing program (And Word, Excell, Power Point... replacement applications too). We use it at work so we do not need to buy 200 MS Office packages, and if it`s good for a 1000 people company, I thing it`ll suite You, and again absolutely free - GPL.

:D

Please don't suggest illegal activity on Brian's board.

Maybe I didn't word it properly, but its a 'file sharing program', so as long as you have something to share, is it not legal?

It hasen't been outlawed like napster and the likes, how is it illegal?

Please don't suggest illegal activity on Brian's board.

Maybe I didn't word it properly, but its a 'file sharing program', so as long as you have something to share, is it not legal?

It hasen't been outlawed like napster and the likes, how is it illegal?

With software, I don't think there's any country where downloading a non-freeware/shareware/GPL product is a legal activity. Sharing or no sharing. With other media, things get a bit fuzzier; in NL, far as I can tell, it's perfectly legal under fair use/copyright law to make copies of a work (ie, books, music, tv shows, movies) for personal use/study purposes (anything you don't make profit on) regardless of whether or not you own a copy of the original work, but it is strictly illegal to share said copy with ANYONE, ever. Also, NL is the only country that I know of where this (essentially) makes downloading music/tvs/movies legal, if perhaps morally suspect; it does mean, however, that you have to get them from a download source that doesn't require you to upload any copyrighted material (such as bittorrent, and most filesharing programs). Weird loophole, but there you have it. Far as I know, it remains strictly illegal in every other country.

This isn't to say the MPAA and particularly the RIAA aren't going very much overboard/using ethically unsound tactics to 'protect' themselves, but that's a different argument altogether.

Edited by mattia

I'm another graphic designer... I use FreeHand and Adobe Illustrator for any kind of drawing. Then I export it to Photoshop as an EPS(encapsulated postscript) file if I have to rasterize (pixelize) its final output. Here are pro's and con's:

Macromedia FreeHand:

Pro's: It is the fastest drawing program ever made. Although its final version, MX is a bit slower with lots of new features then previous versions, it is still faster than Illustrator and CorelDraw. But version 9 is my favorite.

It has a great simple transforming panel that helps you a lot. Especially when drawing logos or symbols.

It can handle lots of pages in one document and not getting slow. Thats why I use it for brochures or magazines too.

It's keyboard shortcuts and special commands are far beyond its rivals. You can draw the same graphic at least twice faster than you can do with it rivals.

Although the rumors.. its color management is quite good if its set properly.

It's user interface is different than Adobe programs so it can be a problem to get use to.. but it is much more simple.

MX version is quite different than the others.. and has great features. Like drawing 3D objects. But its slower.

Con's: Version 10 has lots of bugs. Don't use it. Go for 9 or MX.

It's color management settings are a bit difficult to understand and set. But its not a big issue if you aren't into desktop publishing or professional multimedia work.

It's screen display is poor, unless you preview with anti-aliasing mode. This is just the display though. It prints nicely.

Adobe Illustrator

Pro's: It has a quite similar interface to Photoshop. And they work very nicely together.

It can display alpha channels in photoshop documents. It is good when working both vectors and bitmap images in one document.

It's screen display is GREAT!

Color management is so simple.

Con's: It is too slow because it has no fast commands like FreeHand, or shortcuts.

It is expensive than FreeHand.

I hate CorelDraw and I never use it. So I can't make an objective comment on it. I just know it was made for PC's only..when there wasn't any vector programs made for PC's.

All these vector programs are meant to use on MAC primarily (except CorelDraw). So their PC versions may have minor bugs. But FreeHand is my all-time favorite because it is the fastest vector program ever made (esp. version 9) and it has great shortcuts with keyboard and commands that will help your work be done fast and easy. I can draw a graphic on FreeHand at least twice as faster than I do with Illustrator.

.......... it's just what you get used to ...............

Yes I totally agree. It is Macromedia FreeHand for me. And I recommend it to everyone who is just starting with vector drawing softwares. Because of the reasons in my previous post. It makes a serious addiction. Using FreeHand is like playing a piano...lol

I tried Corel at my previous work... but couldn't really use it after years of using FreeHand.

But if one's used to something else, he/she must stick with it. The best software is what you are used to.