Pine As A Neck Material?

Before I start in with the real (read: COSTLY) wood I'm going to try my hand at building an archtop out of pine to practice the techniques a bit and I was wondering about the usefulness of pine as a neck material. I want to build this prototype as cheaply as possible so being able to use one bigass chunk of cheap wood is very tempting, but if pine is so bad as a neck material it wouldn't last for very long then I'll go ahead and get some maple.

Before I start in with the real (read: COSTLY) wood I'm going to try my hand at building an archtop out of pine to practice the techniques a bit and I was wondering about the usefulness of pine as a neck material. I want to build this prototype as cheaply as possible so being able to use one bigass chunk of cheap wood is very tempting, but if pine is so bad as a neck material it wouldn't last for very long then I'll go ahead and get some maple.

If you want to build a working neck that will be stable and strong enough. Don't use Pine. If this is for practise go ahead and play with cheap 2x4's. If you want to make a working guitar that you want to use don't cut corners on neck wood Maple is cheap.

Figured as much. I'm not expecting anything except practice but if by some twist of fate I end up with a decent body I'd hate to attach a crappy neck to it. I'll probably be able to find a suitable chunk of maple cheap enough. Thanks guys.

Pine isn't really good for much. Except burning.

I was at the wood store and they had these boards caught my eye. I looked at the name on the sitcker and it read simply "Bloodwood". Deep crimson look about them. Has anyone worked with that on anything? I gathered some ideas on a really slick blood red bass axe quickly after I looked at some of the curly maple and other darkwoods.

Pine isn't really good for much.  Except burning.

I was at the wood store and they had these boards caught my eye.  I looked at the name on the sitcker and it read simply "Bloodwood".  Deep crimson look about them.  Has anyone worked with that on anything?  I gathered some ideas on a really slick blood red bass axe quickly after I looked at some of the curly maple and other darkwoods.

Bloodwood reminds me a lot of Bubinga. It is strong, durable and polishes well. It is well suited for neck stringers and fretboard material. Be mindful of its weight if you use it for a body. I personally like it especially for a bass.