Noob Here - My First Project A Squier Ii Strat

Hello One and All. I am new here and happy as can be to find a place like this. I've been wanting to try my hand at refurbishing guitars for years and have now gotten enough courage to start.

My first attempt will be on a Squier II Strat (Korean origin) that is back-routed with a S-S-H pick up configuration. The neck is maple not painted.

My plan is to add a flamed maple top with a blue or green translucent finish and then add new hardware.

Assuming this one comes out okay I'll move on to an old Aria Pro II that I recently bought at a pawn shop, but first things first..........

Edited by Lightstorm

Hello One and All.  I am new here and happy as can be to find a place like this.  I've been wanting to try my hand at refurbishing guitars for years and have now gotten enough courage to start.

My first attempt will be on a Squier II Strat (Korean origin) that is back-routed with a S-S-H pick up configuration.  The neck is maple not painted.

My plan is to add a flamed maple top with a blue or green translucent finish and then add new hardware.

Assuming this one comes out okay I'll move on to an old Aria Pro II that I recently bought at a pawn shop, but first things first..........

good luck. thats kinda how i got started i tore a cheap fender strat apart about 4 years ago, i learneed alot. i think the hardest part will be the finish. im about to start building a hollowbody im thinking of outsourcing the finish.

Adam

Hi lightstorm. You have quite a few advantanges over me as you have chosen to redo an existing guitar, which is the best way to go for us newbies, and you already know the lingo. Way cool. You have done your homework which I did not do! Adding a top has me a little confused because if you mean putting a veneer on it you are already way beyond me and should wait for one of the masters to respond. Good to see another "not afraif to try" newbies. These guys are Awe$some! pLEASE BE PATIENT WITH THEM BECAUSE i HAVE FOUND IT TAKES A FEW DAYS TO GET A QUALITY RESPONSE. I hate caps-lock.

Yes I have already seen that tutorial and thinking this process to be relatively simple (...not meant as easy) I thought I'd give it a try.

Several years ago my son and I were in a music store in Toledo, Ohio called Durdels, where we saw the most beautiful Fender Strat. It was a brilliant red with a curly maple top, no pick guard (I don't like pick guards) and gold hardward. I would have bought it then and there, but it was more than $3 K and my wife would have divorced me!

Anyway I've wanted a guitar like that ever since, so ultimately that's the kind of instrument I'm hoping to create. If I screw up the Squier I'll be unhappy (it really plays nice) but it won't be the end of the world. Living in Houston now, there are hundreds of pawn shops where I can pick up another inexpensive axe - if needed.