To Everyone In Uk

Hey everyone, I have recently got into guitar building and am still a complete newbie, on my first project, looking for a bit of help. I’m currently building 2 strats and I was just off to buy a strat template from guitarbuidlingtemplates.com but having just spent £450 on parts and tools I was hoping to save a little cash and see if there was anyone on here thinking of selling a strat template, or maybe even better :D willing to let me borrow one for a day or two to make a workman’s template. I live in Wallington, Surrey :D willing to pickup and deliver back leave a deposit whatever. I Know its a long shot and a big ask, but I thought it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Cheers guys for considering. Iain

There are plenty of plans for strats around --if you donate (doesn't take a lot) to this site, you'll get access to a bunch of files, cad files, jpegs. But there are other sources to similar files, just have a look around. You can even make your own--find a straight on photo of a strat and play around with it in a photo editor, scale it up to match your neck.

Then you print that out at scale, glue it to a piece of MDF and start cutting and sanding. If you're careful, you'll end up with a working template.

cheers for the reply and suggestions, i have as you have suggested made several attempts at building templates and although they are progressively better with each attempt, i wouldn’t be happy or confident to use them on my guitar and would rather invest in properly made templates.

However i would say I have learnt a great deal building them and it was nice to put reading into practice, but I dont think I would be happy with the end product and hence i am still hoping.

cheers for the reply and suggestions, i have as you have suggested made several attempts at building templates and although they are progressively better with each attempt, i wouldn’t be happy or confident to use them on my guitar and would rather invest in properly made templates.

However i would say I have learnt a great deal building them and it was nice to put reading into practice, but I dont think I would be happy with the end product and hence i am still hoping.

Well, here's another suggestion, a little more radical but it works great: find a 'friendly' strat (you're better off with a beater for this) and use it as a guide for making your template!

I attached a board of MDF to the top, then used a follower bit. Came out great.

A caveat: the guitar I was copying was pretty much flat...that really helps. Most strats are carved, which will make it more difficult.