Drill Through The Body?

I think I read here somewhere (I searched and searched and couldn't find it again) that if you drill through the body so that the screws of a bolt-on neck just pass through, you get a better sounding instrument. Am I remembering this correctly?

I was thinking of trying this out, but I want to make sure I'm following good advice before I destroy an otherwise decent instrument.

Thanks,

-CB

As funny as the voodoo remark was. I think he means do you drill the hole bigger in the body so the the screw does not thread as it passes through the neck pocket and treads into the guitar neck.

Different schools of thought on this one. What I do is make the hole a little larger than nominal for that screw. Just big enough that it still has some bite but not so big that the threads pass clean through.

As funny as the voodoo remark was. I think he means do you drill the hole bigger in the body so the the screw does not thread as it passes through the neck pocket and treads into the guitar neck.

Different schools of thought on this one. What I do is make the hole a little larger than nominal for that screw. Just big enough that it still has some bite but not so big that the threads pass clean through.

+1 seems to me, though i've never done it, if you make the body holes large enough that the screws don't bite at all you'd have a chance of the neck moving in the pocket..

Yes the threads should lightly thread through the body. The wood will expand and tighten around the screw but should remain snug (not tight, not loose). Once the neck is mounted, remove one screw at a time and lightly cover the threads with candle wax. This will help to keep moisture out and the body holes from getting too tight.

Once the neck is mounted, remove one screw at a time and lightly cover the threads with candle wax.

I hadn't thought about doing that to the neck screws. (I've been running drops of Tung Oil in to the holes.)

However, beeswax is generally easier to work with. (You can usually buy it at craft stores.)