What To Do.....?

fronkpies

there medium sized not to big though

A little elaboaration there will help, what size are they?

Other thing is becareful about adding speakers into an exisiting setup, if they are the wrong ohmage? (real word??) you risk seriously damaging your amp,

Wait for some of the more experiences guys to come in and help, but i thought id offer a little bit of advice :D

~~ SA ~~

well my amp has a speaker out socket at teh back, i plugged one into that and it worked but my amp speaker went off. so i can damage my amp you say , well i think i wont be doing that then..

ass for the wattage ill have to check.

i just want liek the 2 speakers around my room but my amp speaker to be on at teh same time

When i ment size i ment physical size as apposed to power rating (although the power rating will be helpful as well)

The size of the cone(if im right) will decide if the speakers will have a practical use in guitar amps...

And as long as you follow simple rules, then you wont damage your amp, i just didnt want you randomly setting them up and then damaging your amp :D

Back to the size thing.. In most half stacks they have 4x12inch speakers... however practice amps have different, usually smaller sizes such as 8inch.. (although ive seen em at 4 inches and lower)

Let us know some answers and im sure the electronic guru gods will have some decent suggestions :D

~~ SA ~~

Can you switch the speaker resistance on your amp? It would probably be a slider with a couple of settings. The values are in "ohms."

Good idea thegarehanman!

Some amps do allow you to switch what the resistance is coming from your amp, before messing with that switch though, answer the questions here already, about the power rating of your amp currently (25 watts,50 watts, 100 watts etc) the ohm rating on these new speakers, the size of these new speakers... and any other details you can give us about your amp...

This could be a good project man :D

~~ SA ~~

yes i can switch through 50 to 5 i think, so yer i can turn the wattage down.

the speakers are about 12in by 9in somethign like that.

9x12? :D

Im presuming from this they are 12 inch speakers... regardnig the 50 to 5 thing, the switch we are on about the resistance on the speakers and not the power out...

The 50 to 5 will be the power rating output from your amp, what we are looking for here is a switch that lets you change the resistance for example... 8ohms to 4ohms

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Let me make this easy on you. The amp does not have a selector switch and the speaker output is for an 8 ohm (ohm looks like a horse shoe symbol buddy)

So unless the speaker is 8 ohm than don't use it.

If you look at the label on the speaker it should say a number (most likely either 8 or 16) followed by a horse shoe symbol. Thats what ohm the speaker is. If it's not 8 than dont use it.

Edited by Godin SD

Whoa godin...that's a bit off. He can still potentiall use the speakers...however it'd be a matter of wiring certain speakers in series or parrelel depending on their resistance. An amp with a 8ohm output does not mean you hook it up to only 8 ohm speakers. There's a bit more to it than that.(Please understand, I don't mean to offend. I just don't want Ms. Information getting around. :D)

So my next question is: what are the individual resistances on the speakers you have, and what are the resistances of the speakers you want to use?

By the way, I still say that it's a bad idea to toss some low end speakers in a cab. Quality before quantity is my motto.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

I still say that it's a bad idea to toss some low end speakers in a cab. Quality before quantity is my motto.

Got it perfect there :D

If we can get a name from these speakers it may be better, from that we could probably determin if they are going to sound good in a cab...

Also thegarehanman has asked a good question, if you can give us the diffierent resistance's for each speaker, the guru;s here such as himself and others can work out a way for you wire them up possibly...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

if the amp already has 1 speaker, and the speakers you found have the same impedence (resistance) as eachother, then the chances of being able to wire them to the right impedence are very slim. thats why most cabinets use 4 speakers, because using 3 will be really hard to match them up with the 1 speaker already in the amp, while still implimenting all 3. if your amp does have a switch, it would be less difficult to wire it up, most likely. you can wire your speakers to a lower imedence than your amplifier, but the quality won't be as good. and if you try wiring the speakers higher, you can really damage your amp.