Ml Guitar Blueprint

Hello from israel to all of you :-)

I Want to build a ML style guitar , which is - as i noticed a combination of a V and an X...

I Searched all the websites i know but i cant find anything that even reminds it...

i found a V and X seperately for autocad ... but im really not that good when it comes to autocad so i dont know how to combine them... B)

I Hope you can help me,

Thanks alot! :D

Shai. :D:D

thats gonna be a tough one you may wnat to look for a picture off of the dean site that will be your best bet for a straight on shot. As for spline tool type in spl and draw away. also for straight lines you may want to just draw a straight line with the line tool.

MzI

No one has a made draw? :|

ill pay for it if i have too im really desperate.... :\

Seriously, and I say this with all due respect:

Draw it yourself. It's not that hard, and if it needs to be accurate, find one to trace (and I very much doubt you'll find accurate plans or templates for this one, and also, if you want an exact replica, just buy one. IMO.) Alternately, find a head-on shot, figure out the measurements from the known dimensions (distance nut to 12th fret = half the scale length), and go from there.

Drawing up plans, especially if thinking while drawing (how thick pieces will be, neck joint support, where what cavities/channels need to go, etc. Building it in your head while you draw it), is excellent practice.

A roll of paper that'll last you a good long while, a pencil, a sharpener and an eraser are fantastic, perfectly suited tools. If you don't know your way around CAD programmes well enough (and 'where is the spline tool' makes me think you're not), simply draw it on paper. Works just perfectly great. A digital model of the guitar you're making in no way means your final product will be any better.

You don't need a Dean. You need images like these:

nice straight on body shot

and

this one

and here's a nice headshot

Convert the image to bitmap

Open the image up inside of autocad (Insert --> Raster Image)

Since this is a pointy guitar, you've got some straight sides there--you can just use the line tool for those. The spline tool is more powerful though, especially around the curved parts. But you could also use the arc tool. You can also draw lines around all the parts --the pickups and bridge especially, so you'll know where to place them.

I found it very helpful to zoom in really close to the lines. You can also prepare the photo for this--convert it to black and white, adjust the contrast, etc.

Once you've drawn line around the entire guitar, select all of the lines and copy them into a new document (I do it that way only because I don't know how to get rid of the bitmap).

It helps to know the dimensions of the guitar, but you need to know at least the width of your neck at the heel (that is, the neck you'll be using)--you then scale the drawing to match that line. Chances are, you'll end up with pretty much the dimensions of the actual guitar. Also, use that heel line in order to generate a center line running the entire length of the guitar.

I have an A3 printer, so I can print a guitar onto just two sheets of paper. But I've also done it using 4 A4 sheets too.

I agree with Mattia --there's no reason to make an exact copy of a guitar, although if you're unable or unwilling to pay for an expensive guitar, you can get very close using this method. If you're obsessed with having an EXACT copy, then save up enough to buy one.

In the meantime, you really have little to lose --at most, a few sheets of paper and some printer ink until you get exactly what you want.

you probably clicked on the wrong tool --try the other one :D

you want to work in the scale of the guitar itself --so all of your lines will have the actual measurements of the guitar.

when you plot, choose: 1:1

but listen to Alex, he's the expert at this (and guided me into learning how to do this just a few weeks ago)

I'm not an expert on autocad by any means but I may be able to help.

On the Fillet tool there should be an option somewhere for radius. with it coming out pointy, the radius may be set too low.

Also for the 1:1 thing. On mine (not using autocad but a cad program nonetheless) there is settings in the print window that will let you size it. On mine, I had to use 25.4 to one (basically converted millimeters to inches) and it printed out in the right size.

Hopefully that helps.

Well, it's not a big deal really. While Alex is getting a real tutorial ready, I'll give you my quick n' dirty method:

First you draw your plan to scale --that is, use the measurements of an actual guitar when you're preparing the drawing. You don't need to know everything of course--like I said before, if I'm working from a photo, I draw a line at the base of the heel of the neck. I then scale the drawing up so that that line matches the measurement of the neck I'm going to use. Since necks are pretty standard in size all in all, the body will end up having pretty much the right measurements.

I believe the "scale" command is under the modify menu (don't have Autocad on this computer). Select all of the lines you plan to modify.

Once you're satisfied you have the dimensions you want, then it's time to print.

Like I said before, make sure you have at least a center line. I like to add several perpendicular lines as well. (I don't bother adding in the pickup cavities, etc., I prepare separate documents for that)

Now go to File: Plot --in there, you'll see a little box for setting the scale. You choose 1:1 there.

Next you define the window you want to print (click on Window). That will reopen the drawing ---now you're selecting only the part of the drawing you want to print

Select approximately 1/4th of the guitar. You can't print an entire guitar on a single sheet of A4/Letter sized paper, that's why. Click okay or esc and you're back in the plot menu.

Now, choose full preview to make sure the drawing will end up where you want it on the paper (I usually use the 'center drawing' command as well). If it looks right, hit the okay button.

Do this four times --you'll have four pieces of paper, each with a different area of the guitar. These areas should overlap.

And this is why it helps to have drawn a center line on your guitar. Because now you're going to tape the four piece of paper together so that the center lines all overlap and everything meets up.

And there's your plan! It may not be 'perfect'. But it'll be damned close.