Tele Build Blog

Here is a link to a blog that I started that shows the progress of my tele being built. Make sure you start at the bottom of the blog (those are the oldest posts).Right now, I am at the finishing stage, spraying Deft. Feel free to list any likes or dislikes.

I am going for a semi-relic look...meaning, I want it to look played, but not necessarily 40 years old. You'll see when I am done. :D:D

http://telecasterbuild.blogspot.com/

i like it, is it just me, or is your control plate slightly crooked?

It's just an illusion from having the guitar angled back and the photo being on it's side. If you tilt your head, you can see that the control plate is straight.

FWIW, there's an interesting example of how our eyes play tricks on us when the photo isn't at the correct orientation. optical illusion

Relevant to guitars cause it shows the need to put the picture the right way!

Brian.

Edited by brian d

dswain,

i like the yellowing of the epoxy grain filler.  what epoxy did you use and did you tint the epoxy yellow?

The epoxy I used is called "Loctite extra time epoxy." I bought it at Target for 2-3 dollars. It already had the yellow tint to it. It was fairly easy to apply and sand after application. Not to mention, it filled the ashes' grain very well.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

PS: The control plate is not crooked, must be the picture. Also, I did not build the neck (the neck is from ebay-fender neck for $50). I am going to put my own personallized decal on it, eventually.

• 2 months later...

hi, did you use grainfiller?? i talked to a luthier here in germany and he said, he is not using grainfiller, just sands a lot more. thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I used two-part epoxy as a grainfiller/sealer. I wrote about it on the blog. Just scroll down on the page and you can read about it.

FYI: I probably won't be using epoxy as a grainfiller again. It was a lot of work, but the results are really good.

Use grainfiller. If you skip it and 'just sand more' you'll end up filling the pores with finish, which will shrink and looks dimpled very quickly. If you like the clarity and depth of a clear filler, use CA glue or 30 minute epoxy. Both work *much* better than filling with the finish.