Refinishing An Old Bass.

Jon

Hello,

I've been working on my old Squier bass for the past 4 months or so. It was just laying around, and I had the idea to de-fret it and make it a fretless. I have a write-up on the ERB forums here for a better description on what I've done.

I do have a few questions: The Bartolini pickups I purchased, would it be possible to airbrush them white? Will that affect the sound in any way? I'm pretty sure the paint alone wont hold too well, would it be safe to apply a finish of some kind to them? I have a photo album of all of my progess here (Under 4-string fretless) it is also linked in my signature.

Thanks in advance, Jon.

The bass looks worlds better than when you started (but then I suppose that was the point right?) :D

As far as painting the pickup covers goes, you might check into the Fusion line of paint offered by Krylon. I haven't used it myself but I hear that it does adhere quite well to plastic surfaces through some sort of chemical bond.

Krylon Fusion

Good luck!

Nate Robinson :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it will indeed be a pimped out squier.

looks good , but a little advice, never sand when you dont have to, get chemicals to take that paint off for you.

I know to use chemicals to take the paint off, but what about the finish on top of it? I haven't read anything that works for removing the finish and the paint. I hope to have this bass complete by Christmas. It's looking pretty nice!

• 1 month later...

I got a new picture of my current progress. I had a few questions posted on the ERB site-

BassProject20.jpg

When sanding it down, it has an amazing feel, although it loses a great deal of it's shine. This seems like a stupid question, but is it possible to buff the paint? Is there some kind of gloss I can spray on without losing it's 1200 grit smooth feel? Will the laquer I apply add shine to the paint, or will it remain semi-dull beneath the finish if I am not able to make the paint glossy?

To be honest, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I just know what I'm trying to accomplish. With everyone mistake, a lesson is learned in what will work and what will not work. And trust me, I've made plenty of those!

If anyone can answer any of those questions, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance!

there is a painting tutorial on the main site that will help you out,

what happens is after you clear coat you often have orange peal, a texture in the finish, so you need to sand with 600+ grit between every 5 or so coats, this will help to smooth it out, but also, you need to sand the outside coat of clear up to about 2000, then buff it, this will give it a good factory looking finish

• 3 weeks later...

This is taken from the ERB forums thread that I am posting all of this on. I don't really feel like retyping all of it, so I'm just quoting myself. :D The link is in my first post on this thread.

Jon

The pickups will be complete tonight. My first time ever using a paint can was on these and did a horrible job. I had a horrendous time removing the paint from the pickups to recoat them. I spent a good 15-30 minutes on each side. It took a good 2 days of work to get them back to normal.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...ssProject28.jpg

The bottom pbass pickup is the look I'm going for, the other 2 aren't completely done, but will be done shortly. All I did was put 2 moderate coats of paint on them, then lightly sanded the top (EVENLY) and went over it with Naptha to remove any excess paint.

After spraying the pickups for the first time and doing a horrible job, I have learned why let it dry and sand it down? I really hope this is safe for the pickup, but going over a crappy paint job (on plastic) with Naptha removes it nicely. Also, the angle I had to move the pickups in, to get them fully coated was no where near easy. So I made this.

edit: I also forgot. Thanks for the suggestion on the paint for the pickups.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...ssProject29.jpg

A small block of wood, with 4 holes drilled in. I cut a stronger clothes hanger I had into 4 equal lengths. Then bent them twice to give it the support it needs to hold the pickups. Correctly measured and fully adjustable for both Pbass and Jbass 4-string pickups.

edit: Check my photo album for more pictures. Tomorrow we begin laying down the plywood floor on the workshop.

Edited by Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! I have been very busy working on the workshop for my future basses (and possibly guitars). More pictures of everything in my photoalbum. Located here, and also found in my signature.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...kshop_Day_4.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...op_Day_11-1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...op_Day_15-1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...op_Day_17-1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/Jons...op_Day_17-2.jpg

I just started working on the bass again. After I believed what would be the final coat of paint for the neck / body, it turned out it wouldn't be. I had 4 horrible runs on the body (all on the contours). And when the neck was PERFECT, I had the great idea of taking it up to Guitar Center to show it off. I put the neck in the body and it sort of adhered to the sides. When I tried to pull it out, it shot out and chipped in 2 areas on the head (you'd have to be within 2 inches to see the chips). Being a perfectionist, this added a few more days of fixing to get it perfect again. I decided to sand the runs with 320 grit dry and it took them off in a matter of seconds, now the body is ready for final coat, and the neck is just about done. The new pickguard and knobs came in recently, let me know what you guys think! And yes, the paint coats are not even. The small hole near the knobs is the mid EQ hz. selector.

BassProject31.jpg

Are you going to lay down another coat of paint to get rid of the inconsistencies? If you do(actually, even if you don't), this will be the finest looking squire bass I've ever seen. The white pickup covers are a nice touch. Is the thing getting a bridge pickup? It'd look kind of odd if you left that hole there.

Are you going to lay down another coat of paint to get rid of the inconsistencies? If you do(actually, even if you don't), this will be the finest looking squire bass I've ever seen. The white pickup covers are a nice touch. Is the thing getting a bridge pickup? It'd look kind of odd if you left that hole there.

Most certainly on the paint. I will keep touching it up until it is perfect. The jbass pickup still isn't complete, one of the wires came loose and I scratched up a bit of paint fixing it. So it was off to the side. Check out the photoalbum, it was originally a single pickup bass, I routed it for 2 pickups. This baby is going to have so many different tonal capabilities.

edit: Oh yeah, and the pickups don't have covers. I actually painted them and sanded the top VERY carefully to add that neat effect.

Edited by Jon

Most certainly on the paint. I will keep touching it up until it is perfect. The jbass pickup still isn't complete, one of the wires came loose and I scratched up a bit of paint fixing it. So it was off to the side. Check out the photoalbum, it was originally a single pickup bass, I routed it for 2 pickups. This baby is going to have so many different tonal capabilities.

edit: Oh yeah, and the pickups don't have covers. I actually painted them and sanded the top VERY carefully to add that neat effect.

just in case your still working on the paint job....Is that a lacquer?sprayed White? well if it is I have a few pointers you can have...once ...you get all the defects, blemishes out from sanding with 320 grit, respray it white, sand with 320 grit...Spray a coat of lacquer gloss (clear top coat) from Touch up solutions...(comes in a spray can if you don't have spray equipment)...spray on a coat of clear per day and no more than 3 coats per day and sand with 400 grit between each coat and soon after about 6 coats it will look like glass even without buffing...then set the guitar aside and let dry for a couple of days before handling....-Darkside

I appreciate the tips. I am still working on finalizing the paint, no laquer yet. The paint is a high gloss white, sort of looks like a finish in some areas, mainly due to a fresh touch up in those areas. I have a few questions. Why not a finer grit sandpaper for sanding inbetween coats on the laquer? I would be afraid it would leave lines and not bond correctly with the next coat (maybe leaving it uneven). But I have 0 experience with any of this, I'm learning a great deal as I go.

I appreciate the tips. I am still working on finalizing the paint, no laquer yet. The paint is a high gloss white, sort of looks like a finish in some areas, mainly due to a fresh touch up in those areas. I have a few questions. Why not a finer grit sandpaper for sanding inbetween coats on the laquer? I would be afraid it would leave lines and not bond correctly with the next coat (maybe leaving it uneven). But I have 0 experience with any of this, I'm learning a great deal as I go.

22o grit is used to sand after priming the body ( the base coat for the nice stuff to come) once the body is primed maybe 2 to 3 coats if using a spray can ...I use a binks 2001 gun with the works ....but small things like a guitar body I have used the cans...don't worry if it seams like and uneven job on the priming...cause thats why you use a block sander for the flat areas ( to make the primer even without pits) and usally hand sand the round...when you spray the primer be sure to sand between coats......Once primed your ready for the paint? decide if you a enamel finish or Lacquer finish...Now your ready for your first coat of paint...If you want a high gloss finish where its like a mirrow...the kind you see on the baby grand piano then its Lacquer...or if you want it shiny like a mirror and want it enamel (like you can find on some metal door frames and doors,then go with enamel...) but what ever you decide to go with don't mix the two....Lacquer is harder than enamel....ok spray your first coat of paint...try to keep your project level and flat...start your spray and dont let off the knob until your past the item or edge...cause stoping at the edge will leave a build up of paint...practice before you spray on scrap...once you have your first coat on...let dry, sand it with 320 grit put about four coats really depends on how heavy you spray it with out runs..spray a second coat, 320 sand..until four coats are had...now after the last coat of paint sand it with 400 grit ...now its time for the clear ....same thing excempt you'll be using 400 grit paper the final coat of clear you will not sand..but change to rubbing compound and a buffer...for areas you can't reach with a buffer you will have to do it by hand.....and thats pretty much it! (Oh ...the reason for not sanding with anything finer than this is gotta give something for that next coat to hang on to) hope this is some what helpful - Darkside

p.s. just noticed did you say it was high gloss white? must be enamel? did you spray it from a can? if so I would continue with the enamel and an enamel clear coat...

Edited by Darkside

Correct, it is enamel. This whole time I have been spending about 2-3 hours sanding the body with 600 grit wet just for the smooth feel. I have KTM waterbased spray (which I'm not using in this project) and some musical instrument nitro laquer from StewMac. Going to try the laquer on it, if it doesn't work out the way I want it I'll try some enamel next. Thanks for the tips! The will help on my next 3 refinish projects. I will probably be working on the beast or the spector 5 next (since I will be gigging shortly).

I spent 3 hours sanding the body this morning, correcting all of the past mistakes as well. I'm going to spray the touch-ups on the front first, then level it down. Then spray the back, and level it down. I sprayed the front today and this bass is looking great. I'm quite positive I will be spraying the clear on wednesday or sunday this week.

I'm not sure if you can bring your own guitars to the guitar show in Dallas next month. But if so, I'll have it with me when I go to visit a few friends.