Winding Machine

NinjaTaiken

try on scrap and figure it out yourself.

with good machine and a good clean work, you can wind a pickup in less than 10 minutes. big producers do so.

but just get a scrap of something you can wind on and remove it later, than just see how fast you can go until it breaks.

I've read at john fishers site that he didn't passed the 4-5 winds a second. although, he didn't had any good gear in hand.

try on scrap and figure it out yourself.

with good machine and a good clean work, you can wind a pickup in less than 10 minutes. big producers do so.

but just get a scrap of something you can wind on and remove it later, than just see how fast you can go until it breaks.

I've read at john fishers site that he didn't passed the 4-5 winds a second. although, he didn't had any good gear in hand.

I'm actually going to use his design since I'm just going to build 3 pickups for now. If this brings in some dough in the near future I'll save up for an actual fully automated winding machine.

I just remember he mentioned that he didn't passes the 4 winds a second in his winds counter making from a calculator tutorial

you just should be gental i guess.

3 Actually, meaning I'd take 45 minutes to wind a pickup, minimum.

Got AIM or ICQ or whatever? I'd really like to ask you some questions.

Edited by NinjaTaiken

I made my own very cheap and simple winder from an aluminium lathe thing that you can attatch a power drill to in the bargain bucket at B+Q,cost a fiver.

I've used a hand drill as well at first and now have the motor off a Singer sewing machine with the little speed control pedal,replacing the power drill.

All of those work and i wind fairly slowly,probably about or less than 3 a sec.

I don't count the winds i just know when i'm in the general ballpark area and the measure the resistance by scraping a little insulation off,if it's wrong i just add or take away a few winds.

Pretty basic really as i'm poor and being a carer there's no change on the horizon with cash flow.

My first was the neck 'Bucker off my warlock as it was awful as standard and measured 15K.I used the same bobbin and magnets and just rewound it to a lower resistance-8.5K.I did use a trick i heard of though and used a very thin piece of plastic between the magnets and the windings,a la Gibby Airbucker.

It sounds very clear now and nothing like it was before and i had no way of waxing or potting it so i tried white wood glue added whilst winding.

It worked but if i went fast i got covered in PVA :D hence i wound slowly.I've wound about a dozen now and fancy trying slightly unbalanced coils in a 'Bucker as i have a good friend who is best mates with Jim Rolph and he does that with PAF's.I even mailed Jim and told him what i was doing and he said i was doing fine on a shoestring budget and confirmed that he has tried the Airbucker trick too.

As long as you're not in a hurry that works for me,hope it has been of some use to you :D

I made my own very cheap and simple winder from an aluminium lathe thing that you can attatch a power drill to in the bargain bucket at B+Q,cost a fiver.

I've used a hand drill as well at first and now have the motor off a Singer sewing machine with the little speed control pedal,replacing the power drill.

All of those work and i wind fairly slowly,probably about or less than 3 a sec.

I don't count the winds i just know when i'm in the general ballpark area and the measure the resistance by scraping a little insulation off,if it's wrong i just add or take away a few winds.

Pretty basic really as i'm poor and being a carer there's no change on the horizon with cash flow.

My first was the neck 'Bucker off my warlock as it was awful as standard and measured 15K.I used the same bobbin and magnets and just rewound it to a lower resistance-8.5K.I did use a trick i heard of though and used a very thin piece of plastic between the magnets and the windings,a la Gibby Airbucker.

It sounds very clear now and nothing like it was before and i had no way of waxing or potting it so i tried white wood glue added whilst winding.

It worked but if i went fast i got covered in PVA :D hence i wound slowly.I've wound about a dozen now and fancy trying slightly unbalanced coils in a 'Bucker as i have a good friend who is best mates with Jim Rolph and he does that with PAF's.I even mailed Jim and told him what i was doing and he said i was doing fine on a shoestring budget and confirmed that he has tried the Airbucker trick too.

As long as you're not in a hurry that works for me,hope it has been of some use to you :D

The problem is I'm not very patient about these things... Plus if I break the wire after an hour of winding I'll probably be smashing the table against the wall B)

like i said, just try to rip it once by hand and once by the resistence of whatever your winding with (drill, hand drill, hand, a3 HP air condition motor etc.)

the costs are none, and you should get the felling of what you shouldn't come near to.

but remember, putting the winds too loose, and you'll suffer from magnetic disturbes.

just for the protocol, i never tried (yet) to wind my own pickups, but i read a LOT of stuff, mainly because i'm dirt poor at the momnet and really don't want to waste money on something that in the end go for nothing.

if yet you feel like talking, my ICQ is 174440988 and my e-mail \ messanger is ron_amram@hotmail.com

i'de like to hear how your doing, beause frankly, your in the same position as i am :D

but soldering it is not that easy as it sounds, because you need to solder a very fine wire and yet not to remove too much isolation, its pretty much all in vain.

and if you put to much solder, it will destroy the shape of the winding and if its not completely round, it will break the other wires, and i bet there are way more things that might happen.

why get to this point anyway? :D

like i said, just try to rip it once by hand and once by the resistence of whatever your winding with (drill, hand drill, hand, a3 HP air condition motor etc.)

the costs are none, and you should get the felling of what you shouldn't come near to.

but remember, putting the winds too loose, and you'll suffer from magnetic disturbes.

just for the protocol, i never tried (yet) to wind my own pickups, but i read a LOT of stuff, mainly because i'm dirt poor at the momnet and really don't want to waste money on something that in the end go for nothing.

if yet you feel like talking, my ICQ is 174440988 and my e-mail \ messanger is ron_amram@hotmail.com

i'de like to hear how your doing, beause frankly, your in the same position as i am :D

ישראלי?

I wind all my pups with a handdrill and I can easily do 10-12 turns by second. No more than 10-15 minutes for one coil.

Really? Damn, thats awesome... No break or anything? It's gonna be a problem though because I want to make a counter...

And mattia, you can solder it together but it's really not very recommended.

There's no problem at all with resoldering it. Read my pickup tutorial if you want to see how I do it.

http://home.zonnet.nl/wilmaremy/makingpups.html

I wind all my pups with a handdrill and I can easily do 10-12 turns by second. No more than 10-15 minutes for one coil.

Really? Damn, thats awesome... No break or anything? It's gonna be a problem though because I want to make a counter...

And mattia, you can solder it together but it's really not very recommended.

There's no problem at all with resoldering it. Read my pickup tutorial if you want to see how I do it.

http://home.zonnet.nl/wilmaremy/makingpups.html

Still, it can get unpleasent if something screws up and you find your self dewinding a bajiliion turns. How much time did it take you to make the first one?

BTW, just a tip, instead of soldering a chunk on the wire, tin a really little amount of solder on one end of the wire, then solder them together with no extra solder.

Edited by NinjaTaiken

I run 1400 rpm (about 23 turns per second) on my winder and have only broke the wire a few times. Takes a few minutes to wind both coils on a humbucker. I made my winder out of a old sewing machine, the Jason Lolar style. I even hava a spring loaded wire tensioner that I got right of the old sewing mashine. The coils are a little loose wound, but I always pot them, so thats no problem.

I run 1400 rpm (about 23 turns per second) on my winder and have only broke the wire a few times. Takes a few minutes to wind both coils on a humbucker. I made my winder out of a old sewing machine, the Jason Lolar style. I even hava a spring loaded wire tensioner that I got right of the old sewing mashine. The coils are a little loose wound, but I always pot them, so thats no problem.

Holy crap, thats faster then a proffesional winding machine.

Holy crap, thats faster then a proffesional winding machine.

Jup, I can run that fast because I wound a litle loose. With a higher wire tension the wire would brake. Remember I use a sawing mashine motor and I use the speed control to startup and stop very gentle.