Is This A Bad Idea?

I am nearly ready to begin my first project and seeing as it is my first build I have decided to buy the neck and the body from Warmoth. Basically its gonna be a San Dimas style super strat with a Limba body, Maple compound radius neck, EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG SA in the neck, les paul style wiring and the single string style bridges.

While browsing warmoth site I have found a few nice pre-finished bursts that have the look I want, unfortunately most of these are rear routed for trems. I could buy one of these at significant savings (about $200 less) over ordering a custom one. I would then plug the area of the rout where the trem block goes in order to have plenty of material with which to anchor the bridges. Has anyone done this? I assume if a limba plug fits snug, is glued and sealed the body should react like a single piece of wood. Am I missing something here?

No refinishing would be needed. The entire modification would be contained in the trem cavity and hidden by the back cover plate. I think I might have misinformed you, the areas that have been routed in the back have only been routed about 1 3/4" out of lets say 2" total thickness so the top is completely in tact (they have not even routed for pick ups yet).

Edited by Mitzlflik

Still, time and effort is money...

If you're starting out with having a choice (easy vs. hard), why choose hard?

It's different if you have an existing guitar that you want to alter.

But you don't.

You have the option of buying something that is right, or something that is "wrong" (and that you have to fix). For me, it would be an easy choice...

:D

If you have tight funds and must do it, take comfort in the fact that it can be done. It just won't be easy to get everything fitting really tight...which is what you need. If you're covering the patch in the back with a trem cover, you'll be in business. The question is: do you think you can make the blocks fit tight enough to make the "repair" clean? If you think you can and $200 is a deciding factor for you, I say go for it.

Edited by thegarehanman

I'm not sure where buying a body and a neck constitute a build. You're talking about a parts guitar.

And I agree, it makes no sense to buy something your don't want --if Warmoth doesn't have the body you need, shop elsewhere. There's nothing intrinsically magical about their guitar bodies, it's just wood that's already been cut and routed for you.

Why not build the body yourself? Make exactly what you want.

Is this what you're looking at? It's the only prefinished black limba unrouted sunburst I found.

You can custom order a black limba soloist body (routed the way you want) for $299 and add $220 for the burst.

Or you can order that one and get one of these from Hipshot. You'll have to shape it a bit, but it's probably easier than making it from scratch, especially if you don't have the skills or tools to do it yourself.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with building a guitar from parts if it's what you want. I would start with something a little less pricey than Warmoth, though. Maybe like a kit from Carvin.

Thanks all for the great advice and yes thats the body I am considering using. I had guesstimated the savings to be about $200 but its actually $121 (which I still think is significant because I should be able to put this together for about $800). While this is better characterized as a "parts guitar" it is a prototype to a more ergonomically shaped design I have drawn up. As such it is intended as a (inexpensive and recoupable) learning experience. I want to try out this combination of parts for playability and tone particuarly the 10-16" compound radius fingerboard in order to decide whether those features are necessary and desirable on my actual build design.

Thanks all for the great advice and yes thats the body I am considering using.  I had guesstimated the savings to be about $200 but its actually $121 (which I still think is significant because I should be able to put this together for about $800).  While this is better characterized as a "parts guitar"  it is a prototype to a more ergonomically shaped design I have drawn up.  As such it is intended as a (inexpensive and recoupable) learning experience.  I want to try out this combination of parts for playability and tone particuarly the 10-16" compound radius fingerboard in order to decide whether those features are necessary and desirable on my actual build design.

If you're just in it for the beta-testing, buy a neck, and build a body. Seriously. You can build 5-6 bodies for the price of one warmoth one, double that for the price of a finished body.

Whats the point of selling a guitar body already finished when the body itself is not finished? It seems like a crack in the paint will be inevidable for someone just starting out and having to route it for pickups.Maybe it would be a good concept for a variax type guitar.I build guitars and would neither build in that fashion or buy myself more of a headache than we sometimes can get from the building process alone.nope wouldn't do it.

I've been trying to figure out this Warmoth mystique for a long time now. The only thing I can believe is that Warmoth's rep comes from its insane prices --people think: "hey, it's expensive, it HAS to be great stuff." And so it goes.

(But Clem, that price includes the buyers' choice of pickup routes!)

Anyway, Mitzi, you stumbled into the wrong place --you're not going to find a lot of people here who are going to encourage you to toss $800 out the window, even if it's your own bucks.

Almost everyone here is going to try to talk you into building your own body, at least. Not 'later' but right now. The neck's a different issue --a lot more intimidating. But you really ought to consider building your own body --it's a blast.

As for the prototype idea....well, there's a lot of people here who equate "quest for tone" with "voodoo" ...if you have an idea of a guitar design you want to pursue, then go for that --don't settle for someone else's design.

Whats the point of selling a guitar body already finished when the body itself is not finished? It seems like a crack in the paint will be inevidable for someone just starting out and having to route it for pickups.Maybe it would be a good concept for a variax type guitar.I build guitars and would neither build in that fashion or buy myself more of a headache than we sometimes can get from the building process alone.nope wouldn't do it.

At the risk of getting off topic I have often wondered the same thing while browsing their sight. If they are all about customizing their inventory for each individual buyer ie; custom pick up, tuning peg, trem cavity and input jack routs, why compromise your inventory by cutting the routs until you have a buyer for each piece, finished or not?

As for the refinishing point that keeps coming up...no refinishing would be needed. The plug would only be visible when the trem cavity cover is off. Granted i would would spray the exposed portion with a clear nitro just to be safe and prevent swelling/cracking but there is no need to refinish. Aesthetically the only thing off about this guitar would be that the back would have a trem cavity cover for a guitar with ABM bridges.

At the risk of getting off topic I have often wondered the same thing while browsing their sight.  If they are all about customizing their inventory for each individual buyer ie; custom pick up, tuning peg, trem cavity and input jack routs, why compromise your inventory by cutting the routs until you have a buyer for each piece, finished or not?

I think that originally, the stuff in their 'shop' is stuff that was commissioned and not paid for/bought, for whatever reason. That's the way it used to be. They get made, they still gotta go sell 'em, right? It's also a way for them to show off their talents, and tempt impulse buyers who happen to see something they really like.

I've been trying to figure out this Warmoth mystique for a long time now. The only thing I can believe is that Warmoth's rep comes from its insane prices --people think: "hey, it's expensive, it HAS to be great stuff." And so it goes.

Simple, methinks: they're one of the first big parts sellers that went the route of offering different woods, custom routes, new body shapes. They're good at what they do, their service is top notch, they've got good materials, and yes, they've built up a name for themselves. Warmoth's prices aren't all that insane for the amount of customization you can get. If you want a bog-standard strat body, or tele body, plenty of other places to get 'em. If you want something just a little different...you're stuck.

I believe Warmoth also pioneerd compound radius f'boards, and had dual action rods when almost every other OEM manufacturer was only offering necks with simple compression rods. They were once, and arguably still are, at the front of their particular market segment. And not only because they're pricey.