New Project Guitar Construction

hammdo

Decided to build a website to show the construction of a kit I purchased from Grizzly. Its not a bad kit, nice hardware, and has a pretty nice top. I am doing a tiger-eye dye job on it and will be updating the site as I progress. I will detail the steps I've taken and hopefully, someone will learn from the mistakes I make and will assit them!

-Don

Grizzly Guitar Construction

Looking forward to this!  I've always had an eye on their kits, waiting for them to decide shipping to Canada is OK.  :D

Greg

Kits are really nice! I heard about the 'problem' shipping to Canada -- don't know why that is a problem though. Some have had it shipped to family in the states and then they 'drove' down to get it. So far, I like the kit (although I'm going to put Duncans in instead of the stock pickups -- just love the sound you get from them)...

-Don

• 1 month later...

What did you used for the clear? DEFT or the Krylon? If you used the Krylon you will be waiting for about 6 months before you can touch it without it being soft.

I think that you used the Krylon, because I use DEFT for my last 4 guitars and it was dried and ready to assy in less than a week from the last coat.

I like the guitar so far. It looks good and the veneer came out nice. The color is good, but I think that the "binding" is a bit too big on the cut away area. Other than that I would had glued in the neck after the sanding sealer was applied.

Good luck!

Krylon -- I'm beginning to see that it will be soft for a while. I'm patient -- I have 3 others to build (2 bodies are quite ready -- Tobacco and Cherry Burst). I agree on the binding -- On the next one, I'm not going to do a 'binding' on the cutout -- I've seen a few without that and it looks real nice.

Appreciate the feedback. I wanted to do something different this time and see what the results would be. In the past I just used spraypaint with burst (no dye).

I chose to look @ this one as an experiment. I have a really nice body (top is flamed maple) and neck and didn't want to do a 'dye' job on it until I saw what it took -- this was what I tried it on.

Thanks!