Carving A Neck Pocket The Old Fashioned Way...

Boggs

Boggs,

Any chance you'd do a tutorial on using and sharpening chisels? I really like the idea of doing it the old fashioned way. Plus, both my kids have asthma, and it seems like using chisels would create much less sawdust than a router.

Boggs,

Any chance you'd do a tutorial on using and sharpening chisels? I really like the idea of doing it the old fashioned way. Plus, both my kids have asthma, and it seems like using chisels would create much less sawdust than a router.

Well, truth be told, I am just doing this by feel. I am sure there are a lot more expert people than I am at this who would give you a much more proper tutorial than I could. I probably do it the wrong way, but I still get it done. I guess the real message is, don't let any task intimidate you.

For sharpening, I simply have a series of high quality sandpapers at progressively finer roughness adhered to a glass plate for flatness. I draw the beveled edge back towards me at the appropriate angle until I have a uniform and straight grind. I step down to the next finer and repeat. When I get to the 1200-2000 grit, I then turn it over and hold the flat side flat against the paper and draw it back to deburr. It is scary sharp.

I mark and score the edge of the neck pocket with an exacto knife blade to the proper shape and dimension to a reasonable depth where I can now begin removing bulk material to the scored edge. I repeat the scoring process and bulk removal until I reach near the depth of the pocket. I then use sandpaper and a wood block to really level the pocket. I can use a bubble level (small round one used for leveling a turntable works really well) to make sure the level of the pocket is the same as the level of the top of the body. I can also check every so often by using the back flat side of the chisel for flatness of the pocket. I think you can see from the photo how I use a mallet (okay... a screwdriver handle) to tap on the chisel to control the drive and cut of the chisel.

That is the very basics of what I do, right or wrong... Boggs