Clear Coat

jsnhavoc

I just painted a les paul style body black with World of Color epoxy enamel, and i want to give it a super glossy thick clear finish. What kind of clear, and what method should i use to achieve this? Also i dont have access to a spray gun so it has to be rattle cans.

Thanks to anybody that can help me out, :D

If you used enamel then you should stick with enamel. Find a suitable enamel clearcoat to use. And if you do plan to mix n' match then you should make sure that whatever was used underneath is totally cured. Enamel is not the finish of choice for guitars because it doesn't buff as well as others, like lacquer. Do some searching about clear coats used in the automotive industry and you might find a suitable product to go over enamel.

Edited by Southpa

i got pretty decent results using the duplicolor line (found in the automotive section of walmart - very cheap by guitar finish standards) They offer a lot of different colors (metallic colors, color shifting kits, primers ect.) and they also offer clearcoat. On the can it says that it doesnt require buffing, which is somewhat true, i got a pretty shiny finish with no buffing, but buffing would definately help it, im just too lazy. Anywho, goodluck with whatever you decide to do.

- Louis

I don't have any personal experience with duplicolor, but I would do a forum search and read about it before using it. I've heard many more horror stories about it than I've heard success stories. It doesn't cure hard enough is the most common complaint. Deft is the best spray can clear I've ever used, and I've never had compatability issues over any paint. That's not to say it will never react, just be sure to test on scrap first. That goes for whatever paint you decide to use.

Where would I be able to buy Deft?

I used Duplicolor paint and clear coat for my first refinish. the guitar LOOKS great but a year and a half later, the clear is still kinda "soft" i can push my nail through it. My advise is don't use it if you want your guitar to look good for a long time.

For my second refinish, (my Charvel/Jackson model 2) i used duplicolor paint BUT instead of duplicolor clear, i used Dupont Chromaclear, which is automotive clear. The result is awesome. really glossy and hard finish.

i guess the bottom line is "you get what you have paid for!"