My First Guitar Building Attempt

A while ago I joined and started posting questions, usually focused in electronics, about a mustang/jag stang hybrid guitar. Tons of people were very courteous to me, and now here is my "saga".

I ended up buying it at a guitar yardsale thingy, and I thought it would be fun and an easy fix.

I was wrong haha.

I learned that this guitar was made overseas and did NOT follow any Fender/Gibson standards. So I spent a couple of saturdays searching Home Depot and hobby stores searching for screws that would fit, which I finially did fine, that were probably one of a kind. After that, I made a HUGE purchase from allparts probably amounting to 200 bucks. Included was a pickguard, sliding switches, knobs, wires, pots, etc etc.

When I finially got it......not one single item fit. The pickguard was way too small, the pots were too. The one lucky thing was the tuners in which, they ended up being for a tweleve string guitar, but because the width of the headstock was sooo huge it fit perfectly.

So then I began on constructing a pickguard from scratch.

Now you have to realize that I am a begginer at guitar building, and I would have to say that I'm probably getting in over my head here. I did fairly well with cutting it out, but when cutting the holes inside it, I made the pickup hole too big. I got frustrated and I abandoned the project for a month.

Later on, I went back to the samel biannual guitar yardsale and looked at the necks. There, I found out that the neck that came with it was a very very rare size, and I would need to get a new neck in order to get the intonation right. Which meant that the only thing that actually went "right" (the tuners) would have to change. Not too mention I would have to drop another 300 bucks on a neck.

So eventually I just gave up.

Looking back on it now, I think its kinda funny how it all worked out. Unfortunatly I got a whole bunch of parts now that I cant return.

Anyway, I would like to thank everybody who helped me through this endevour. Although this project failed (pretty bad), I learned from the best (you guys) and from mistake (myself).

That's brutal honesty if I ever heard it. The real question is are you willing to invest more time into turning your pile of parts into something more than a "pile". In your opinion is it possible to construct a body to fit your existing neck? If so, you're in business. Don't get too down on yourself, and explore the options at hand. If you have the tools/space to build a body for that neck, you might think about it. We all have these kind of setbacks, if we didn't enjoy the process we wouldn't do it - and if you don't you shouldn't.

Good Luck in your endeavor.

Nate Robinson :D

Seriously, the only thing you cant do over when i goes wrong is a skydive.

My first guitar was an utter flop. But I learned a lot! Including the value of a centerline. Try it again. Its kinda like sex...gets better with experience.

Well, there was that girl whose parachute failed a few weeks back, she survived...though I don't know if she's going to jump out of a plane ever again.

Failure is relative here: you didn't lose any body parts, right? Think of it this way: you made a mistake, you've got a good opportunity to learn from that.

Like a lot of people here, my first projects have their share of issues. I had to ditch my first from scratch build. And neither of the two mods I did turned out to be all that great. I even gave up a couple of times. But all of that was good preparation for my latest project, which, so far, looks like it might work out.

The worst mistake I made is the same you just discovered: building a guitar from parts is just more hassle than it's worth. Too many variables that have to be taken into account BEFORE you go out and buy your parts.

Another mistake I made: buying used parts off ebay. At least you bought your stuff new.

Most important thing I learned? Patience.

If you're really that discouraged, sell the parts and move on. Otherwise, start learning how to handle tools and plan to build your own body--use the neck and other parts you have already, they'll provide the various measurements you need.

And people here are really great for getting your courage back up and helping you out when things get difficult.

:D

I have 3 parts guitars, 2 strats and a tele. Each newer one is better than the last. There's no mistake that I made on any of them that can't be tweaked and retweaked until they're perfect--but I'm in no hurry. As it stands I have 3 somewhat less than perfect very playable guitars that I like very much. They have absolutely no resale or trade in value, but I play them and gig with them and giggle my butt off because they're mine. :D

In putting these mongrels together, I've learned how to wire one from scratch, how to dowel and redrill holes, how to cut a headstock shape, how to adjust a truss rod, how to set intonation, how (not to) cut a replacement nut, how to relocate and realign a bridge, etc. et.al. ad infinitum ad nauseam ...

The thing is to be absolutely sure you know what you want, and be more than absolutely sure you know what you're getting. And be more than more than absolutely sure you can deal with making the pieces fit, even if it means doing it more than once.

If building things from parts wasn't such a good idea, there would never have been that old Hot Rod Lincoln. B)

Thank you all so much.

I am actually thinking of continuing but the fact is I'm a teen without a job and no constant cash flow. So dropping 300 bucks on a new neck would be pretty powerful.

I learned now that it wasn't the body that was the problem but the neck. The neck was not right to scale with the body. So there IS a chance that I can get it to work If I can get a new neck for the body.

Anybody know how I can find a neck for a body? Like measuring from the bridge to the pocket or sommmetthing?

why don't you just move the bridge to accomodate the neck's scale lenght? What type of bridge is it, and do you know if the bridge needs to be moved forward or back? Moving it back would be less labor intensive.

peace,

russ

not possible. The bridge is very unique, its like a bigsby/ tailpiece end. The body basically has a huge hole to accomdate the unusal tremleo piece.

It sounds like you have all the parts for a sweet custom build, if you're up for the challenge. My recommendation? Get a Carvin 6-string Neck Thru blank for $180, grab some mahogany from a lumber place, and build yourself a sick custom! It's pretty cheap as custom guitars go, and you've already got your hardware and electronics... what are you waiting for? :D

No worries man. My first build was a bear which turned into two bears. I got a complete body that all it needed was a neck. SO I went and found a neck, except it was the wrong scale. So I found another neck at the right scale and planned to trim the heel to fit. Then I found out the neck was from an old discontinued line of Fernandes basses and I felt guilty for wanting to mangle it. The somebody I found sold custom bodies. Long ardiuous story short, I built a sweet bass and one semi crappy one. If at first you don't succeed, just wait...it'll happen anyway.

Seriously, where is this guitar part yard sale and when is it??

First of, I would like to thank everybody for reading my "epic tale" and giving me GREAT suggestions, I seriously do have a lot to think about.

I dont know wheter I would like to reroute some stuff to accomodate my neck, because I LOVE my bridge for some odd reason, it just looks so weird and rare, I've never seen anything like it.

second this guitar yardsale im always going on about is in Maryland at Make n' music. Might be worth the trip if only your in the tristate area, but otherwise lol dont even bother.

Thank you again, you guys rock.

Another question before this thread dies, how can you determine the apporpriate neck size for a body?

Well, if you have the neck, you can measure that --then you need to go look for a neck with:

The same scale length

The same number of frets

The same style of neck (ie, overhang or no overhang

The same width at the heel

The same depth at the heel

If it's a mustang, jagstang type of guitar, it might use a short-scale neck, which might be part of the problem. If so, you can look for a Duostang neck (think that's what it's called).

But try building your own --you can remove the bridge and reuse it, and it sounds like you already have the parts. A decent body blank isn't too expensive either.

where can i find this neck?

btw i can't take any measurements from the neck it came with because its not an appropriate fit, so all the dimensions are wrong.

I could be wrong though, if i can somehow get some measurements from this neck (des[ite the fact that its not a fit), please tell me.

Thank you.

Edited by Tarquinius

Hi...new member signing on! Screwed together my first Tele 22 years ago (Stew Mac swamp ash body, Stew Mac rosewood/maple neck), and have put toether three more since then...but I digress...

Just want to let you know that you can find the scale length from your neck.

Simply measure the distance from nut to 12th fret, then multiply that answer by 2.

Also, if your project is an import, you can bet the ranch that every fastener is metric.