2 Way Truss Rod Installation

Biz

Hoping someone with a little insight can help me. I'm installing the 2 way truss rod from the bottom or back of the neck. Is there a wrong way? The rod I’m using is this one: http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm

I'm not a physic's major, but it seems if it will go both ways, then there is nothing wrong with placing the round stock towards the fret board, contradicting every picture I’ve seen. Seems logical for a top install to use the flat stock up for gluing considerations, but what about from underneath?

The reason i would want to do this is to keep the adjustment piece closer to the top because of the totally bizarre shape of the head and string lock of this bass. The neck setup would require removal of the string lock to adjust it and thats not practical. The tuners are on the bridge giving way to an unusual head stock.

Allied Luthiers, LMI and StewMac have all answered to keep the adjustment side away from fret board...but when asked why? They say just cause.......

This is a very expensive project with tons of time spent, with no room to experiment.

any takers?

Yes, you can install the rod upside-down, but the adjustment direction will be reversed -- clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten. I do the same thing with Stew-Mac Hot Rods for a similar reason. When I discussed it with Stew-Mac, they agreed that there was nothing wrong with doing it that way, as long as you don't mind the change in adjustment direction.

Yes, you can install the rod upside-down, but the adjustment direction will be reversed -- clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten.  I do the same thing with Stew-Mac Hot Rods for a similar reason.  When I discussed it with Stew-Mac, they agreed that there was nothing wrong with doing it that way, as long as you don't mind the change in adjustment direction.

Indeed. I've done the same thing, BUT: if you're going to sell the isnstrument, please note that the rod adjusts backwards somewhere on it. Small note on the back of the truss rod cover, something permanently affixed to the control plate, something. Not all setup monkeys have a clue what they're up to, and will assume that all rods work the same way.