Alternate Woods

g'day

I am looking into building an archtop guitarone of these days, and just doing some looking around, i am finding the maple back and side sets rather expensive (well the sides arent to bad bout $35), i have the top coverd (i have a HUGE beam of western red cedar in a cradle in the garage).

but what other woods could i use for the back and sides?

thanks in advance

luke

:D

Edited by where's the beef???

There are a lot of choices when it comes to back and sides. If your first choice is Maple I would use it. There is really not much wood to a set of sides, and the width makes the wood pretty easy to get (wide thick back sets of course will cost more). I would think $15-20 would be about as much as you should have to pay (and that is mainly because of the thickness sanding and prep.). Remember it will take less than a bd. ft. (ruff) to produce that set.

Peace,Rich

You could use whatever will look good to you. All regular Maple looks really nice when finished well. Personally I usually go for a matched look most of the time. I was going to have you shoot me a PM and I would hook you up, but then I realised you are in :D . Shipping is deadly from me to you, probably more than the wood is worth.

Peace,Rich

Hi,

I dont know if its what your after but I have some African Swamp ash i think its called? its quite heavy and dense...its been cut for the making of a bass, i think its 45mm thick. Its some nice looking wood.

Im on the Gold coast...jst email me @ shim_elf@yahoo.com if your interested :D