Alternative Nut Material

jay66

I was thinking about trying a piece of deer antler to make a nut out of. I sawed up a nice rough shape the other day. This stuff is very hard and heavy seems alot like bone. I'm thinking maybe even some inlay possibilitys also. I was wondering if anyone has tryed this or if its a bad idea?

jay

I read a thread on this forum a while back (but I couldn't find it when I searched) about treating your own bone to make nuts. It seemed quite comprehensive, but also a long process (ie a couple of weeks bleaching in ammonia and naptha). Anyway, bottom line is I have on idea about deer antler, but I think you'll have to treat it a lot to make it usable.

I read a thread on this forum a while back (but I couldn't find it when I searched) about treating your own bone to make nuts. It seemed quite comprehensive, but also a long process (ie a couple of weeks bleaching in ammonia and naptha). Anyway, bottom line is I have on idea about deer antler, but I think you'll have to treat it a lot to make it usable.

What Is the reason for treating it ? is it for hardning it or for color ? The piece I have is many years old and pretty hard.

jay

deer antlers are basically an outgrowth of bone so as long as your piece isn't from the center, porous part of the antler it should be just as hard and tough as a bone nut. i didn't see the thread on treating bone and antler but if you like the look of it as it is i'd go for it.

deer antlers are basically an outgrowth of bone so as long as your piece isn't from the center, porous part of the antler it should be just as hard and tough as a bone nut. i didn't see the thread on treating bone and antler but if you like the look of it as it is i'd go for it.

I thought antlers were hair like rhino horn they sure smell bad like burning hair when you cut them.

they are hair, and they are solid right the way through, well bull's horns are, i know that much, id try and use the outer surface (closer to the outside) for where the strings go, could be a little drier and harder maybe?

inlays.. hmm i dunno bout that 1, definately posible, both for the nut and inlay there might be the smell factor, i mounted some bulls horns onto a plaque for my dads 50th, and it seriously stank, i could still smell it through the respirator and on top of that my workshop reeked of burning hair/bone for about a week

luke

:D

actually you learned two things today..you should never doubt an old red neck texas deer hunter..

(for some reason the smilies aren't working today or you'd see the one with the big grin on it.)