Begging For A Wizard To Help Me Out

I have the humbuckers only at the moment, have yet to order the emgSA and the 5 way switch (I am told i may need a special switch...)

Anyway onto the challenge

I want to be able to select: Just neck, just middle, just bridge, bridge and neck together (for playing in front of my computer) I am not bothered about the blending of the SC with the HB, it seems pointless and difficult.

I want a volume for both humbeckers (as in one pot controls both) a tone control for neck and middle.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could either draw a simple diagram or point me in the right direction. Many thanks

This pickup combination is NOT a good idea, even economically. I think you'd be better off buying an 81/89 combo. In the long run, the cost will be better than trying to integrate two passive humbuckers with a single active single coil.

Breakdown:

Dimarzio X2N: $69

EMG-SA pickup: $69

25k dual concentric pot for EMG volume and tone: $20

500k dual concentric pot for passive volume and tone: $20

Megaswitch: $25

--------------

Total: $205

This total doesn't include shipping, which will be a lot more if you're having to go through many suppliers to get all the parts.

One EMG-89 w/control pots: $115

One EMG-81 w/control pots: $99

Three-way switch: $13

--------------

Total: $228

Shipping won't kill you on this setup because you can get everything from probably ONE supplier.

If you get the EMG-89 instead of the 89R that is typically used in the neck position, the single-coil portion of the pickup will be closer to the mid position and will sound 99% just like a single SA in the mid, especially with a 24-fret neck. It'll be hella easier to assemble, too.

I wont bother with the SA if its THAT MUCH of a hassle then dude, but I already have the X2n + neck and middle stock pups of rg550. I may well just go for a standard 2 humbucker setup, could I be directed to a diagram of master volume and tone pot for neck only? I kinda like treble on 10 on my bridge....alternatively if anyone could suggest a cheap single coil stratty sound (never ever ever had a single coil in guitar, kinda want to see the other side of the story, and I heard the stock S1 sucks)

I wont bother with the SA if its THAT MUCH of a hassle then dude, but I already have the X2n + neck and middle stock pups of rg550. I may well just go for a standard 2 humbucker setup, could I be directed to a diagram of master volume and tone pot for neck only? I kinda like treble on 10 on my bridge....alternatively if anyone could suggest a cheap single coil stratty sound (never ever ever had a single coil in guitar, kinda want to see the other side of the story, and I heard the stock S1 sucks)

Well, "sucks" is a matter of perspective. Before you go and spend any more money on pickups, I think you should get the guitar assembled and wired with what you have, including the X2N, and then see how YOU like the stock pickups. You might like the S1 pickup for your style, I don't know. I honestly doubt that anything you buy from GFS is going to be that much different, IMHO. The S1 seems to be a good mid pickup match for the V7 and V8, so it may work well with the X2N/V7 setup.

If you're going to use a tone on the neck, just use a standard Strat diagram but leave off the second Tone control that doesn't have the capacitor soldered to it.

I will draw it up for you. give me a minute or two. well actually i will post later tonight. email me what you want ansilgregory@yahoo.com gotta jump off line.

tele4wayswitchwiring.gif

its a four way tele switch i got from the local music store in hixson tn. its a 11usd part. it has four seperate lugs on it for the pickup selections and one common. it also has the normal strat double sets of these so Dp4t i guess i am sleepy now. but i had a similar wiring in my ibanez. as for the volume pot on the emg i wouldn't sweat it so much you can always use a resistor wired in parallel in the swithcin diagram if it bugs you since you are only wanting it by itself. i will draw up a full technical schematic if you need it. but most can do it from the blog. oh yeah g is for ground and i am assumign you know basic wiring of a guitar. if not i can break it down for you.

ciao ed

you said pos one neck byitself with a tone control so hot wire from neck is pink it connects to the orange when its in neck slot which connects it to the volume and the tone. there.

the red is the output from the emg. if you need to you can put a 25k resistor right across this lug to the ground on the switch body and it will efectively reduce the pot to a 25k pot. it connects through the switch to the orange volume ie etc. and the other side of the switch connects it to the tone control.

green is the bridge humbucker it has a jumper there to the last posisiton so it connects bridge and neck together in pos 4. hope that helps.

ed