Would I Be Able To Build A Bass?

boonk

Hi, I am 16 years old and I would really like to build my own bass. I just love the thougt of someone asking me what kind of bass I have and me getting the chance to say "I build it myslef". I have read alot obout bass building and I think if I put enough time into it it would be possible. I have been building things out of wood since 6th grade, so about 5 years. I have built tables, shelves, a minerature bass, bench, and many other things. I also have a neighbor who is an experienced woodworker if I needed any help.

So yea, back to the bass. I want to make a neck-through bass, fretted, with a quilted maple body. I will probably use one truss rod and 2 carbon fiber strips in the neck. I play most of my music in C tuning so my bass will be a 35" scale. I will probably use EMG pickups. So to the point, does anyone recomend anything that I should do in preparation for this project. I will be drawing lots of plans and making a template out of mdf before I buy any of the wood or hardware for it. Also, what would the cost be for a custom bass. :D

Thanks for any help. I would love to hear any comments.

Edited by boonk

I'm sorry, you can't build a bass, Canadians aren't smart enough to build basses. :D:D

Actually, I must say, you seem a lot more informed than 90% of the people that come on this board and ask the same question. If you have the patience to do everything the right way, and you have the tools to get it done, I see no reason why you can't build a perfectly playable bass. Granted, certain aspects may take a few tries before they're just the way you like it, but as long as you're tenacious about it, you can get it done. As far as the price of custom basses, that's a very hard question to answer. There's no set price, it could be anything from $1k to $100k. I hope you're not planning on selling your basses anytime soon, because I adimently discourage that at this point. Anyhow, you might benefit from reading Melvin Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar." It covers many aspects of building including the considerations you should make when building both a neck thru and a guitar with a top.

peace and good luck,

russ

Edit: I noticed you said you'd be drawing the plans before you got the hardware. That's perfectly fine, just make sure you get every dimension of the parts you're using so your plans are as accurate as possible. Decide what fingerboard width and string spacing you want at the nut, then figure out the string spacing of your bridge. This will help you determine your fretboard width. There are many options as far as truss rods go, so you should look for one with your ideal dimensions before drawing out the plan. Also, take into consideration whether or not your bridge is so high that it would dictate you either recess it or use a neck angle. Building instruments is much much easier when you get all of the thinking and brainstorming done before you even set foot in the shop.

ps

This is in the wrong section. You'll get a lot more views and responses if you put your new topics in the appropriate section.

Edited by thegarehanman

Go to amazon.com and get melvin hiscock's book Build your own electric guitar. He makes the exact kind of bass that you're making and does it using mostly hand tools. A must read for anyone that is a first time builder.

thanks for the help guys, i think i will order most of my parts from http://www.stewmac.com/ and see if i can get wood locally, that is , after i'm done the planning and begging to use my mom's credit card so I can order online....then it will be a few more months work to get it all payed for... :D

There's a good reason for that ;-)

Get the Hiscock book, as said, indispensable.

One minor 'warning' when it comes to guitar building: what's considered 'good enough' in most carpentry/woodwork (not all, but most), is nowhere near good enough for guitars. Work to tight tolerances, as close to exact as you can get. Within .5mm wherever possible, closer than that for fret spacing.

Of course you can build a bass. Im 17 and building my own guitar right now. The guitar specific tools will hurt some but heres my suggestion. Call around where you live and try to find people that can help you with these specific things. For example, I went to a local website here in St Louis called Woodworkers association or something weird like that. That website had telephone numbers to people in the society. I called up one guy who said that he had built guitars before and he said that he could let me use his fretting tools. Im saving upwards up $150 there. So call around for help. Most people will be more than happy to help you. I found that being a high schooler infact helps more than it does hurt your reputation. People think its great that someone in high school has an interest in building with their hands...rather than smoking.

My mom made a great line. "Id rather you be jointing wood than rolling joints."

So enjoy! And keep us posted.

thanks for all the replys, my brother is a member at a local woodworking club and he tells me that there is a guy there who makes acoustic guitars. I will probably contact him and see if he can help with the fretts, when i get there, probably wont be for another few months :D i geuss this guy started making guitars in the shop at school and has been making them ever since, and he makes a living doing it. Sounds like an awesome job to me

I made up a plan for what i want my bass to took like.... the drawing has no fretboard, the lines are just to show the different pieces of wood for the neck, and i forgot to continue them into the head, and forgot the shade the rest of them, oh well, you get the idea. This drawong is to scale, 35", and i got the dimensions for the bridge and nut online, tell me what you all thing

000_1441.jpg

the neck will be 3 pieces of maple, or some other light wood, havent decided yet, with 2 strips of mahagony or walnut. The body will be made from mahagony with quilted maple top and beck, i will probably stain the back of the neck green like the body but i'm not sure, it might ruin the look of the wood, I won't need to decide that wor quite a while. More drawings of neck and seperate body pieces to come! :D

I got the shape for the head from my 5 string ESP B-55 which i have had for three years, I just love the look of it

Edited by boonk

ok, i am going to need some help, say i am ready to attach the body to the neck, how do i go about lining that up perfectly when I glue and clamp the 2 body pieces to the neck, the body will be stained and i am wondering if i should stain it before or after I attach it, I am going ot call my local wood supplier and get some prices today, hopefully i will finish my bass over march break :D, It might take longer though, thanks for everyone's help

neckthru.gif

Edited by boonk

Cut out the shapes, and use a small brad or two (short nail) in areas that won't get routed into. Tap them into the harder of the two woods, nip off the ends, line it all up, push it in place (test clamp it). They should keep the pieces lined up when gluing. This is what I do for guitar tops, as well as for fingerboards (Although I tend to simply drill a tiny hole through a fret slot for those, so I can remove the brad once the clamps are on/its glued up).

Re: staining, do it AFTER you glue on the wings. You'll want to glue the wings on once they're roughly shaped (outline is right), but likely before you do anything else to them (carving belly cutouts, transitions to the neck, roundovers, etc. There's a lot of work to do before moving on to finish sanding and staining.

• 1 month later...

If you are buying your hardware a little bit at a time (cash flow, don't you know....), the first piece to buy is the bridge. So many things depend on it (neck angle and fretboard taper to name just two) that you'll want to get it right at the beginning.

There's nothing like sticking it on the body with double-stick tape and stringing up with fishing line to see how you're doing.