Installing P-90s On A Epi Les Paul

kfelixj

Hello out there this my first post, wished i knew about this site earlier might have helped me a lot in my experiments.

I have a ephiphone les paul, i recently stuck pearly gates in it, I really like the sound but i am very intrigued about p-90s. Its obvious that the soapbar are not the same size, but i was wondering if it is possible to install them on a guitar that is routed for humbuckers? Is my only option to get the humbucker sized or is there a mounting bracket. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

kenny

The Gibson P94s are P90s that fit in a humbucker-sized rout. I know there are also brackets to fit regular old P90s but I can put my finger on where.

I don't think so...P90s are longer (and thinner) than humbuckers, you'd have to reroute the guitar for that. If you're happy with the sound, stick with what you have....and go out and get a guitar with p90s. I wonder if the P90s in humbucker format will sound the same as a 'classic' P90? Doesn't a lot of the sound come from the size and shape of the magnet?

The Gibson P94s are P90s that fit in a humbucker-sized rout. I know there are also brackets to fit regular old P90s but I can put my finger on where.

I don't think so...P90s are longer (and thinner) than humbuckers, you'd have to reroute the guitar for that. If you're happy with the sound, stick with what you have....and go out and get a guitar with p90s. I wonder if the P90s in humbucker format will sound the same as a 'classic' P90? Doesn't a lot of the sound come from the size and shape of the magnet?

The bobbin shape and magnet selection affects how they sound, as well as the number of winds/wire guage (and probably all sorts of other mojo-laden doodads as well). This said, a classic P-90's tends to have plenty of 'spare' room on the bobbin (not completely filled with wraps), so changing the outline of the bobbin won't do anything to change the shape of the actual coil. The magnets and spacers are the same for P-90s and Humbuckers, after all (just that P-90s use two of 'em).