Spray Can Painting (aka Rattle Cans)

Hello there ladies and gentlemen,

I am brand new to your forums and I have a few questions I need answered.

I'm currently repainting a strat body. I have all the color coats applied and now the time has come for a finishing clear coat. I plan on spraying the body with a spraycan (rattlecan) clear. It's just plain old Krylon spray. Now, I've browsed past threads about this but I'm still just a bit confused. Here are my main questions...

#1. How many coats should I spray on and how soon between coats should I apply another?

#2. I know with spray can paint, I'm going to get that orange peel texture. How do I eliminate the orange peel look? 1000 grit sand paper?

#3. How long do I let the clear coat dry?

and #4. I'd like to get that nice glossy almost mirror-like finish (as close to factory as I can get), how do I do this exactly?

Thank you so much. Any input is greatly appriciated.

Sounds like you've already bought your cans?

But having used rattle cans on three guitars now, I think the best way to do the clear coat is to take it to a professional and have them do it. It'll cost about the same, and you'll end up with a better job. At least over here, where clear costs 11 euros a can...

Sounds like you've already bought your cans?

But having used rattle cans on three guitars now, I think the best way to do the clear coat is to take it to a professional and have them do it. It'll cost about the same, and you'll end up with a better job. At least over here, where clear costs 11 euros a can...

I agree - That's what I'm doing on my next projects. I wanted to try to do this myself at first and it cost me more money and more time.

:D