Gold Hardware Finish

i own a jackson Randy Rhoads 5 which has a good amount of gold hardware on the body. i noticed that the gold hardware where the volume knobs and tone knob was tarnished. i got some cleaner but the tarnish didnt come off. i bought a cleaner at the store used it blah blah...to make a long story short it wasn't "tarnished" the gold hardware is just wearing back to its original color (silver it looks like). so my guitar looks kinda crappy becuase of this. is there a paint or anything that i can touch this up with. can i spray paint the plating back to gold. what will work. THANKS!

Edited by jerrycantrell

i own a jackson Randy Rhoads 5 which has a good amount of gold hardware on the body. i noticed that the gold hardware where the volume knobs and tone knob was tarnished. i got some cleaner but the tarnish didnt come off. i bought a cleaner at the store used it blah blah...to make a long story short it wasn't "tarnished" the gold hardware is just wearing back to its original color (silver it looks like). so my guitar looks kinda crappy becuase of this. is there a paint or anything that i can touch this up with. can i spray paint the plating back to gold. what will work. THANKS!

Paint (or plated) surfaces simply don't last forever. Gold usually have a thin laquer over them and when worn off, everything else flakes off. Your best bet is to replace the knobs. You should be able to replace them for under $10 a pair. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Dome_knobs.html

Edited by Gorecki

sorry, i wasnt clear on that part. its actually not the knobs but the plate that they are on. take a look: http://images.misupply.com/products/full/Jackson/71389.jpg

Oh, you're right, I missed that part. :D

Think the answer is pretty much the same. It'll probably cost you less to re-place it vs re-plate it.

Willing to bet http://www.vwallguitars.com will be able to get replacements.

My replating experience is with old cars but the process is probably the same. You will have to remove the part and take it to a plater who will strip/clean it and then send it throgh the plating process. Which process depends on the type of material is being plated and the type of plating being used. The biggest issue with having something this small replated is that you will be nowhere near the platers minimum order and you will pay way too much to meet the minimum. If you are lucky and the plater already has a batch of parts similar you may get a deal but if not, it's usually cheaper to replace the part.

Josh

WHY... why.. w h y... I think tarnished gold hardware looks sexy.

In fact, some people sometimes give them a paint effect to make it look 'relic'. (e.g. SRV's FirstWife)

I think it looks classy.. I have a LesPaul with gold hardware and I'm basically WAITING for time to pass so it can be tarnished...

You know.. if you know lots of guitar hobbiests around your area, you might even just be able to trade it for a new one.. Or I'm just wierd. :D

By the way.. I don't think I would recommend you buying a single plate Online.. as shipping charges might be even more than you're paying for the actual item...