Sanding The Sides

verhoevenc

Ok, so I've got an issue... I don't know when to change grits? On the back of the guitar (I'm talkin' lacewood here) it's fine and easy and everythings nice and flat to work with and all it's every had done to it was planing at the very begining. However, the sides have obviously been routed, and the grain orientation changes with each curve, etc. So I started sanding with my 120 grit and I think I've gotten it pretty good, like I don't see SCRATCHES. But there are sections that are a different color than others? Like some spots that have a "milkier" look to them? When do you know to change grits if you've gotten rid of all the scratches... but there's those weird thigns?

Chris

I usually sand down to 600 even on bare wood.If the wood is planed I start with 150 to get rid of the mill marks and work my way to 600.When the grit stops cutting I drop a grit.Harder wood like walnut I start at 80.End grain should be sanded with a block always following the grain which would be up and down with light pressure and always moving.Right now my fingertips are screaming from a couple hour sessionbut it makes a huge difference in the end.Are the marks you are talking about maybe just sawdust in the pores?

No, I actually had answered the question myself qutie awhile after posting it since o one replied. I had used my palm sander with 80 grit a think to do some shaping in some areas, and those are what it left. Highly concentrated scratches in swirl type patterns. I just had to 120 sand FOREVER to lose them.

Thanks anyways,

Chris

No, I actually had answered the question myself qutie awhile after posting it since o one replied. I had used my palm sander with 80 grit a think to do some shaping in some areas, and those are what it left. Highly concentrated scratches in swirl type patterns. I just had to 120 sand FOREVER to lose them.

Thanks anyways,

Chris

Ouch...if you're sanding end-grain with a powered sander, don't go any 'rougher' than 120, preferably finer, unless you really have to shape it. But you figured that out now, I take it ;-)