What Amp Would Be Good For Hardcore/metal/grindcore?

BlackHawk2025

Well, I guess that depends... With my single coil guitar, I turn my amp's distortion almost all the way because I don't have enough output... With just a little output boost I wouldn't need to but I don't have a choice right now.

Would never do that with a high output pickup though :D

If I was you i'd try to get a good OLD tube amp... A tube amp can hardly really wear out... only the tubes wich you can get replaced pretty easily...

And for the digital vs analog debate... Well I tought my GT-3's distortion sounded good before I got my amp. I have not used any of it's distortion sounds since then :D

hey sorry guys my comp died for a week and i had to reformat but its all good now....... i've had the opportunity to mess with a 5150 and the sound i got out of it was REALLY treble heavy. right now i'm runnin a crate power block mono into a home-built 2x12 cab. i have my level cranked gain half up and running distortion effect thru a digitech processor (that horrible thing i hate it) i'm thinking about getting a boss metal zone distortion. Im getting an 80s Charvel guitar two weeks from friday so well see what happens if i switch instruments. I plan to have a job by summer 'n' im willing to save till i end up with approx 800-1000 bux.... dunno what thatll get me as far as a full stack but im thinkin i could get rid of the power block and keep my current cab 'n' stuff another pair of 12's in it and splurge on a nice expensive head...... my cab is the size of a 4x12 but only has 2 in it. pointless i think.

if you use it in the right spots, its not mush, the main time i use the gain all the way up on both is when im doing the slow palm muting, then the choppy chords that fill in the spaces with feedback (if youve heard the chariot you know what i mean). and unless you've actually tried using that setting the way i described it, you wont know how it sounds. Its not the typical "way too high distortion" setting that slipknot uses. It has definition that just sounds more chopped up, rather than definitionless humm with some guitar in the background. and godin, i didnt ask for "good tones" i asked for "your favorite tones." (frick, i feel like im in politics getting my words twisted around to mean what you want them to mean.) the tone that i have looked for (my favorite bands are norma jean and the chariot) in the amp, i have already found, but personally i prefer the amp distortion almost all the way up, plus the pedal about half way up, its a nice sound for hardcore.

BUT, i think hunter might have a point, ive only tried this solitary. i imagine that it could potentially hurt the sound if i were to turn it up to high with bass and other guitars in the mix.

i misunderstood you godin, my bad, i thought you were saying that a tube amp wouldnt be good for hardcore. your right about what you meant.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

hmm...... i think i might get just a decent vintage head...... and pop a couple celestions in the 2x12 cab i have and run thru that...... and get either a boss metal zone or the behringer spinoff of it.......... i love behringer for being cheap...... anybody heard they're acoustic simulator stomp-box? pretty freakin accurate..... tasty it is and yes i've definitely heard the chariot....... they make me feel like i need to work on pinch harmonics............ between the insanely high distortion and the feedback those squeals make me happy in the pants.

Dude, in no way does a Metal Zone or a Behringer distortion compare to a tube amp. Not even close. Look around for $800-1000 there is a crapload of Marshall, Mesa, and Peavey heads. For that price they will be used, but if you are patient you can find one that is in perfect shape with a little wear on the tubes. If you are going to be playing gigs this is the way to go. There is nothing worse than hearing a Metal Zone through a cranked amp, it sounds horrible. Anyway you have plenty of time to figure out what you want. Check out E-bay, I bought my rack system and favorite guitar(all used) from there and I couldn't be happier.

Im getting an 80s Charvel guitar two weeks from friday so well see what happens if i switch instruments.

What kinda Charvel are you getting? :D

I let my brother borrow my Charvel for 3 weeks and in the meantime I pretty much only played my Ibanez (fitted with EMGs), and I was amazed at the difference when I got my Charvel back, the stuff I'd been playing for the past few weeks just didn't sound right on the Charvel, plus I couldn't play it as fast (very slight difference in string spacing).

charvel model 3A with a kahler traditional trem, volume and tone controls and a 5 way swtich and dual humbuckers. ive been lookin on the 'bay for a reverse headstock neck to pop on it....... just for looks. what do you guys think of kustom amps? i think i might get a kustom 100 watt with a 2x12 cab....... but i dunno. as far as distortion goes it doesnt have any buuuuuut i have a digitech rp80 and the dude at the music store is gonna straight up give me a metal zone with that amp....... any suggestions?