What Amp Would Be Good For Hardcore/metal/grindcore?

BlackHawk2025

hey im 16 jobless and have no money but i should be gettin a job soon. within the next year i think i might get a new amp. i was thinking about building AX84's high octane or high voltage or whatever it is and running it thru a power amp to a pair of 4x12 cabs, BUT i dont know much about wiring things. SO i may buy a stack....... thing is what would be good for playing some hardcore ?(i.e. norma jean, the chariot, stuff like that) high gain 'n' high volume as my drummer hits hard as hell....

building AX84's high octane and running it thru a power amp to a pair of 4x12 cabs

Yeah the high octane is an amp. Meaning it has preamp stages and a power amp stage. I wouldn't touch a tube amp if I we're you.

Now onto buying one. I have yet to play one but i've heard only good things about the ashdown fallen angel.

Link

There a bit pricy but they sound sweet. :D

i.e. norma jean, the chariot

Christian stuff.. :D nice.

R you rich enough to get yourself a full stack? If you are, sure go with it.

But if not there are good combo amps below $600, Randalls. I always liked their metal sound.

And plus, I don't know how many amps you have, but if it's your 1st or even 2nd, I'd get the standards

either Marshall or Fender, just cause of their versatilities (Some marshal half stacks are less than $800). Personally playing one genre 24/7 bores the crap out of me.. Just a comment :D

Also, ah! Don't forget.! Good combinations/fit between the guitar and the amp.

I have yet to play one but i've heard only good things about the ashdown fallen angel.

:D

Over $1500US..

And oh, check out some Peavey and Ampeg stuff too. Not great, just decent, (I would tell you to try Crates too.. but.. I personally think most combo amps beat Crates in sound, but vice versa in $) but hey.. life gives you a lemon, you make a lemonade B)

-IR

Edited by redwhiteandthemaple

I have yet to play one but i've heard only good things about the ashdown fallen angel.

Over $1500US..

Well I guess thats just the way I am. I'd rarther save up for a year and buy something I can use for the rest of my life than buy a peice of crap I'll out grow in six months.

Edited by Godin SD

I highly doubt that you will need 2 cabs. If it comes down to it, spend the money on a better amp rather than an extra cab. Also before you start playing musical chairs with amps , realize that your tone changes every day so try to work with what you have. Anyway look into a Peavey 5150 it has a crapload of gain and many hardcore bands use it and the newer version(6505). Other than that it seems like you have a long time to decide so get out there and start playing different amps. If its a tube amp, you need to crank it to hear that beautiful poweramp distortion.

What about Line6? I just played a gig last night with a PODxt into a laney heads power amp through a homemade 4/12, you can get ANY sound you want out of the pod and more. Other than that, check out ebay, my bassist got a 300watt beringer head with a 4/10 cab for 190buk. Bargain. Now all he needs to do is get a 1/15 speaker and build a cab for it. How much are you looking to spend, that will give us a better idea of what will be good for you.

I don't think an ashdown or a mesa would quite fit for a jobless 16 years-old guy's budjet :D

Ashdown fallen angel heads aren't very expensive! If you get the 60watt one they are about £300 over here. Its only the 180 thats stupidly priced. They are nice amps for the price.

For metal, go for a 5150. Look on ebay and see if you can find a nice 2nd hand one. If you're after quality kit, you;re probs better buying 2nd hand? Bit cheaper so you can afford more.

S

If you have a really nice house system.

Using amp modellings is not a bad idea. (GT8 most likley for metal stuff)

-IR

I actually use my old Boss GT-3 for most of my Jesus Band stuff. Plug it right into the PA and let the sound guy deal with the mix. If you're playing in a church, they really don't like the sound levels to get out of control and blow everyone's ear drums out--that's what the preacher is for! :D

Check out the new GT-8 if you get a chance. It's a good product.

I'd buy a line 6 dude... it has a few different distorted sounds... and they're semi-cheap enough... but i dont know how much a jobless 16 yr old has!! My dad got me a spider line 6 for my birthday... i'm 12... just collect your birthday change and save up :D lol

Luke

Edited by Luke

I'd buy a line 6 dude... it has a few different distorted sounds... and they're semi-cheap enough... but i dont know how much a jobless 16 yr old has!! My dad got me a spider line 6 for my birthday... i'm 12... just collect your birthday change and save up :D lol

Luke

line 6 are alright but you can really hear how "digital" it sounds which kinda sucks

*knock knock

Is the topic starter even listening??

I'd buy a line 6 dude... it has a few different distorted sounds... and they're semi-cheap enough... but i dont know how much a jobless 16 yr old has!! My dad got me a spider line 6 for my birthday... i'm 12... just collect your birthday change and save up lol

Luke

I first bought line6 podxt live (the floor board multi fx and amp modeling, i think it's called live, i always get confused with the other one)

Anywho, plugged it from fender strat through it and to some Fender Preston? I forget, it wasn't mine. 2x12 combo amp with chorus.

line 6 are alright but you can really hear how "digital" it sounds which kinda sucks

So true.. after I tried some pedals sounds and entertaining/educating myself for.. hm... still ongoing thing..

It sounds digital, but single fx seems to be better and their fxs on the amps seem to be good.

So I returned it (podxt live) and got the Boss GT8 (its only more expensive by about $60 CAD)

I don't like the amp modelling too much, but I like the distortions

On the other hand I think the Podxt live had bit of an edge lead on clean sounds (chorus, delay, acoustic, etc)

just get a decent size amp with a good EQ and a distortion pedal

I tried that myself.. is it possible to get a "good" EQ under $100?? If so, can you guide me?

seriously.. I want 1.. preferably not from eBay... :D

-IR

if you want to sound like the chariots guitar player, get any decent amp (i use a fender blues junior) that has its own distortion circuit, then run a guitar through another distortion circuit, into the amp, both distortion circuits with the gain maxed out. If you want to sound like norma jean, turn one of the drive knobs on half. Who says tube amps cant handle hardcore godin? plenty of hardcore bands use tube amps.

Who says tube amps cant handle hardcore godin?

You thought thats what I was saying?

building AX84's high octane and running it thru a power amp to a pair of 4x12 cabs

Yeah the high octane is an amp. Meaning it has preamp stages and a power amp stage. I wouldn't touch a tube amp if I we're you.

you gotta read whats there man.

I was saying he wouldn't try to build/modify a tube amp if he thought he would have to run the HO into a poweramp. Meaning he obviously diddn't understand it...

And your "I use a blues junior bla bla bla" You got one yesterday. Not exatly the break in peroid of the century wouldn't ya say? You even mentioned in your other thread you needed help getting settings on it to sound good.

Edited by Godin SD

if you want to sound like the chariots guitar player, get any decent amp (i use a fender blues junior) that has its own distortion circuit, then run a guitar through another distortion circuit, into the amp, both distortion circuits with the gain maxed out. If you want to sound like norma jean, turn one of the drive knobs on half. Who says tube amps cant handle hardcore godin? plenty of hardcore bands use tube amps.

Haha, yeah, if you wanna sound like mush playing with any other instruments.

You don't need THAT much gain. Man, I wouldn't even turn the amp distortion up, maybe 3/4 of the way up. If you're playing by yourself, sure, it sounds great, but with a band, too much distortion sounds really bad.

i have an invader in the bridge and a 59 (?) in the neck. i love them. the invader in the bridge is GREAT for metal rythem.

No, no its not, its a crap pickup. Way too mushy. Suited to guys who love to turn the gain up to ten because they think thats "more metal".

I don't think Perry will mind me quoting him. They we're talking about pickups but the bold text applies here...