Out Of Phase Wiring!

Lord-of-the-strings

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for wiring two humbuckers out of phase, with a five-way switch, and one volume and one tone knob. Would I need a miniswitch? I know, extremely noobie question.

On a side note is that even possible? I don't believe I've ever seen people talk about wiring humbuckers out of phase. Thanks :D

It is quite possible, however, you will need a mini-switch or a five-way super switch (to replace the 5-way switch you have) to do it the way you would like it.

I would be happy to draw a diagram for you if you want. What combinations would you want with your 5-way switch? Also, would you want to use a mini switch or a super switch?

p.s. I realize that I am a newbie at guitar building, but I do feel, however, that I am quite capable of doing this for you if you want :D .

Edited by patman

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for wiring two humbuckers out of phase, with a five-way switch, and one volume and one tone knob. Would I need a miniswitch? I know, extremely noobie question.

On a side note is that even possible? I don't believe I've ever seen people talk about wiring humbuckers out of phase. Thanks :D

I think I'd just want to do it with an on off on dpdt switch, one on being neck pup out of phase, and the other on being bridge pup out of phase, if you could draw up one that'd be great!

Wiring one pickup out of phase with the other is pretty much the same whether you switch the bridge or the neck. It'll cancel the same frquencies regardless, so unless you're hung up on "absolute phase" (and that's a silly argument for another time and place), it's pointless to switch more than one.

Wiring one pickup out of phase with the other is pretty much the same whether you switch the bridge or the neck. It'll cancel the same frquencies regardless, so unless you're hung up on "absolute phase" (and that's a silly argument for another time and place), it's pointless to switch more than one.

+1

The sound is not affected by which pickup is out of phase, only that a pickup is out of phase with another pickup. It wouldn't matter whether it was the bridge or neck pup that was out of phase. Also, If you are using just one pup, it will sound no differently in or out of phase (unless its out of phase with its self).

I would certainly draw a diagram for you, but I wouldn't know what the combinations you would want with your five way switch :D . (also, the way you wanted the phase switching to be done with the on-off-on switch isn't possible.)

:D

+1

The sound is not affected by which pickup is out of phase, only that a pickup is out of phase with another pickup. It wouldn't matter whether it was the bridge or neck pup that was out of phase. Also, If you are using just one pup, it will sound no differently in or out of phase (unless its out of phase with its self).

I would certainly draw a diagram for you, but I wouldn't know what the combinations you would want with your five way switch :D . (also, the way you wanted the phase switching to be done with the on-off-on switch isn't possible.)

:D

Ah, well that goes to show how much I know about guitar electronics. I guess I'd prefer the fourth position on the five-way out of phase with the bridge pickup. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

It is certainly not an inconvenience :D .

Here is your diagram.

I used the Seymour Duncan four conductor pickup wire code. If your pickups aren't SD's, you can substitute the wire colors using the chart here.

If anyone sees any mistakes, PLEASE point them out.

I hope this works out for you :D.

Edited by patman

Indeed. Although I like push/push pots even more. A tap, and it's done.

Oh, like the S-1 switching on the American Strat? Those are really cool, is there a place to buy those?

Uh, I guess. I rarely go try out new Fenders ;-)

Warmoth carries them, and I'm sure any number of electronics supply places would have them as well.