First Project! Here We Go.

xtjdx

It looks like there isn't a bushing option for my router that's under $30, so I'm going to be doing the neck joint with chisels! I've been practicing for the past hour and it doesn't seem like too hard of a deal (actually it's a lot easier than with power tools so far). I was wondering if there are any tips on working with chisels on this. Time for more chisel action!

i did alot of stuff with chisles on my other guitar. it wasn't that bad. i had started the pickup cavaties with fostner bits in a drill press, but i had to chisel out the corners. came out looking pretty good! i also did alot of work on my neck pocket with them. that took a while because i kept on going back to fitting the neck in to check and make sure the angle was right and straight and everything. i don't really have any tips or anything (heh) because i didn't know what i was doing, myself, really. but i thought i'd offer a little piece of mind. it's nice working with hand tools, anyway...

It's probably going to be a little bit until my next substantial update. I have decided to do two purpleheart laminates on the body, so I'm looking for a joinery firm in Charlotte to help out with planing and joining. Decided on doing a maple top too, so this could take awhile!

Quick update:

I'm putting on a poplar top. It's affordable, has a nice grain, and will add to the tone.

For the body, the laminate is now:

Mahogany/Purpleheart/Poplar/Purpleheart/Mahogany.

Test clamp:

P1010014.jpg

Going to glue it right now. Found a great place to plane (they did it for free) and am also going to do my mortice on their drill press. Awesome. That's it for now.

This project is on the backburner for a week or two more. I'm a little short on money to get the rest of the supplies but am interviewing tomorrow for a job that pays $30/hr., so hopefully that won't stay the case for very long. :D

wOH! You started your project without have your supplies? So you're missing some hardware, electronics.. finishing supplies...

Very.. risky..

And good luck for the interview. $30. Yumm.

-IR

This project is on the backburner for a week or two more. I'm a little short on money to get the rest of the supplies but am interviewing tomorrow for a job that pays $30/hr., so hopefully that won't stay the case for very long. :D

wOH! You started your project without have your supplies? So you're missing some hardware, electronics.. finishing supplies...

Very.. risky..

And good luck for the interview. $30. Yumm.

-IR

Well, since I'm for the most part working off of specs that I already have, I'm not too worried. I should be getting my cap, fingerboard, fretting supplies, and truss rod in the next few days, so if that stuff isn't going to work I'll just get another body blank, start from scratch, and consider it a lesson learned. The blanks' combined price is really less than $80, so I'm not too worried about screwing something up. This is more to test the water and see if I'm ready to do this kind of project yet.

And thank you. I'm going to need all the luck possible.

Edit:

Uh, well Stew-Mac said shipping would be 3-6 days but it turned out to be... one? Are they usually this quick? The only other experience I've had with unexpectedly quick shipping was with NewEgg when it was a day early. But this was basically overnight. Did I get a fluke or are these guys just great?

Edited by xtjdx

Uh, well Stew-Mac said shipping would be 3-6 days but it turned out to be... one? Are they usually this quick? The only other experience I've had with unexpectedly quick shipping was with NewEgg when it was a day early. But this was basically overnight. Did I get a fluke or are these guys just great?

Heh. StewMac stuff shipped via DHL to Amsterdam tends to take 1 or 2 days. It's taken 3 days once, but it's never been slower. Very well worth the shipping costs. So in short, yes, they're awesome, and DHL has their stuff together.

Update:

Almost to the point of shaping on the neck. Right now still cleaning up the truss rod channel, have to make the adjustment recess, tomorrow am going to cut it to near-depth and get the taper cut.

Also got a nice maple top whose joint is drying right now. This is going to be a flat top. I'm not going to put the switch on the upper section like most LPs, because I always hit it when I get into the music. Also am going to do a semi-semi-hollow body (really just the back section of the upper half of the bell. Hard to explain without showing, so I'll route it tomorrow and have some pictures too). Slowly but surely this will get done.

I am starting to get near half-completion on the body.

I glued the top on and sanded it level today. The glue residue looked gone so I decided to apply a first coat of stain.

deee152c.jpg

Looks like it wasn't gone, so tomorrow I'll be sanding it back, cleaning up the f-hole (I'm going for a smaller/a bit more modern + classic design and really need to make it less sloppy), and fixing a few other areas. This is starting to look like a guitar!

Edit:

Oh yeah, I'm going to drill the pickup wire channels in, so that's why the bridge humbucker isn't routed yet. Just thought I'd let you know. :D

Edited by xtjdx