Custom Wiring Schematic

jimhndrx3

can some1 please make a diagram or explain how to wire this setup

neck position pickup - great white snark single coil

bridge position pickup - pearly gates humbucker (4 conductor)

i would like for each of these to be wired to seperate on-off switches and from there to a master volume and master tone (if that is possible) or have a tone for the humbucker. from there i have a stereo output jack (got it free from guitar center) is there any special way i should wire this so it becomes a mono output jack?

any help at all would be great. thanks

Here is your wiring diagram

The switches are SPST, which can be bought everywhere.

You should probably use 250k pots.

is there any special way i should wire this so it becomes a mono output jack?

You can use it as a mono jack without any special wiring. Just wire all the grounds to the back of the volume pot and then solder the volume pot to the sleeve lug on the jack. Ignore the ring lug.

btw, don't forget to ground the bridge.

EDIT: The pickup switches are on/on

Edited by patman

Could you check the volume and tone wiring? I've never seen this particular way of doing it.

yea ill wire it up and see if it works. if not do you you have any suggestions on how i should do it?

ok heres the guitar... how it'll look when its finished just needs to be wired up and be set up

http://myspace-403.vo.llnwd.net/00513/30/41/513661403_l.jpg

Edited by jimhndrx3

Could you check the volume and tone wiring? I've never seen this particular way of doing it.

That should work perfectly fine. If there is another way you want to wire the volume and tone, go ahead, but it should be okay.

right now i just strung it up and the sound cuts in and out.. is this because i did not solder correctly and its shorting against itself, because its not properly grounded, something to do with the stereo output jack or what? i cant figure it out this is the third time ive tried it.

i have a 250 k and 500 k pots...... the 500 k is for the humbucker. which should i make tone and which should i make volume... currently i have the 500 k as volume and 250 k as tone could htis be affecting the signal?

right now i just strung it up and the sound cuts in and out.. is this because i did not solder correctly and its shorting against itself, because its not properly grounded, something to do with the stereo output jack or what? i cant figure it out this is the third time ive tried it.

i have a 250 k and 500 k pots...... the 500 k is for the humbucker. which should i make tone and which should i make volume... currently i have the 500 k as volume and 250 k as tone could htis be affecting the signal?

Double check all the solder points and make sure everything is connected in the proper way. Make sure the contact points on the jack are right up against the guitar cable and that things that aren't supposed to touch aren't touching.

You are using the pots the way I would. And no, that should not affect the signal (but it will slightly affect the tone. Read here.)

Does it only cut in and out on certain pickup combinations?

btw, if anyone sees anything wrong with the diagram, PLEASE say so.

Edited by patman

Double check all the solder points and make sure everything is connected in the proper way. Make sure the contact points on the jack are right up against the guitar cable and that things that aren't supposed to touch aren't touching.

You are using the pots the way I would. And no, that should not affect the signal (but it will slightly affect the tone. Read here.)

Does it only cut in and out on certain pickup combinations?

its my fault. i did not ground everythign to a central point which explains it all. i went back and did so and now it works perfectly... thanks patman for all the advice and the wiring diagram it sounds great.

I'm not sure if it is "wrong", it's just not the way I would wire volume and tone pots. It's just different and I was wanting to make sure you intended to wire them that way.

I would have connected the output of the switches to the left hand terminal of the volume pot and not the center terminal. I would have taken the output to the jack from the center terminal of the volume control and not the left hand terminal of the tone pot.

I would have connected the output of the switches to the left hand terminal of the volume pot and not the center terminal. I would have taken the output to the jack from the center terminal of the volume control and not the left hand terminal of the tone pot.
+1. It's better practice, so unless the more exotic wiring yields some special sound, doing it the standard way is simpler, and easier to debug in the event of a malfunction.

+1. It's better practice, so unless the more exotic wiring yields some special sound, doing it the standard way is simpler, and easier to debug in the event of a malfunction.

I didn't know there was a standard way of wiring volume and tone pots. Thanks for showing that to me. The way I put it on the diagram just made sense in my head at the time :D .

jimhndrx3- I'm glad everything is working out :D

Edited by patman