Flame Maple Ebony Walnut Neck-thru Blank

erikbojerik

that's what I was thinking, but I measured out my templates and the fretboard+set in distance is 20 1/8" and then the headstock is about 6 1/2" without taking into account the back angle 13 degree... so that's like... 6.333" if my trig is right. So take into acount sanding needed, etc, we'll say 6.5" anyways. Therefore total for neck I'd need 26 5/8, which we'll say is 27" to account for the cutting it in half and other errors, etc. Therefore I'd need 54" for 2 of my neck design.

Chris

You might be able to lay it out so that the two angled headstocks overlap each other on the blank, if you catch my drift. Or...could save them for a set of special lp's or w/e other single cuts. $100 seems like a really good deal for an ebony/maple blank if you can squeeze two neck out of it.

How good are your cuts?

FWIW, with the 1.6" blank thickness you can get away with a 6-1/2" long headstock at a 9° angle (1/2" thick). My headstock on the Yei Bass is 6°.

For a 25" scale, if the heel section starts at the 12th fret and is 6-1/2" long (so 1/4" past the 24th fret, so 19" total from nut to end of tenon), you can get two guitar necks out of it with 1/4" of safety on either end.

neck profiles

• 2 weeks later...